Occupy SFSU discusses Day of Action plans at General Assembly

Occupy SFSU had its first General Assembly Meeting of the new year Feb. 2, in front of the library.
The only large items the group approved were the creation of a work committee to plan SF State’s actions for participating in the March 1 Day of Action protests and to create a support group to accompany students when they are withdrawing their savings from banks.

Although the gathering began at 8 p.m., the proposition involving the Day of Action was not brought up until approximately an hour later, and Donna Olivera, SF State political science major, suggested that a working committee be formed, in order to formulate suggestions and present them at the next GA.

It was also done to end the meeting in a timely fashion.

“Usually in other GAs, discussing these kinds of large propositions takes a long time and makes the GA run for a long time,” Olivera said. “Besides, it’s freezing and we should try to go home in an appropriate timely manner.”

According to Federico Villalobos, a student coordinator of Occupy SFSU, this action seemed most appropriate because of the massive amount of organization required.

“These propositions are items that need to be thought out and formulated because they affect the movement and all the students it represents,” he said.

Lalo Gonzalez, SF State criminal justice major, proposed having a support group of students wishing to close their accounts.

“Banks use intimidating tactics to discourage you from closing your account and if we go as a group supporting the student, then we can challenge the managers and we stay informed,” Gonzalez said. “We plan to start doing this every other week, starting this Wednesday.”