SF State professor hones novelty art in glass blowing

[set_id=72157633497920050]

After graduating art school, Nathan Watson has managed to stay busy and keep his creative endeavors going at full force.

With a master’s in fine arts and bachelor’s in history, Watson says that one of his greatest achievements is to be able to work on behalf of other artists while still being able to be a full-time artist himself.

Currently, Watson teaches glass blowing and glass casting at SF State, and a kiln casting class at Sierra College in Tahoe over the summer.

He is the executive director at Public Glass, a non-profit that functions in all aspects of the material including teaching, design, sales and studio space. He works for Connect Art International, a company that deals in setting up galleries for art spaces and museums.

He does the glass component of the Kettle Collective, a design collective, and has sculptural work and sheet rock work at Refusalon gallery.

“Glass in its clarity is one of the most honest materials” said Watson. He also appreciates glass as a medium for its beauty and fragility.

Watson has been blowing glass for 15 years and has been teaching at SF State for five.

Glass blowing, according to Watson, is something that you invest your heart and soul into — much like a relationship.

“I engaged it as a partner,” Watson said.

Here is a week in the life of Nathan Watson.