“Progressive Proof” printmaking exhibit is art made entirely of paper

[set_id=72157641542988655]

Looking at the art pieces at the Progressive Proof’s opening reception, you wouldn’t believe they were made out of paper. Curator and Assistant Professor Susan Belau put on the art exhibition at the Fine Arts Gallery to showcase nine women artists that will be at the 42nd SGC International Printmaking Conference on Mar. 27.

Curator and Assistant Professor of Art Belau and gallery director Mark Johnson, were on hand welcoming and thanking students and other guests for coming out to the opening reception, as well as introducing a few of the featured women artists.

The reception began with artist Aimee Brown, sewing together a month’s worth of newspapers from the San Francisco Chronicle. SF State alumna Claire Szydlowski, Seiko Tachibana, and Imin Yeh helped greet and mingle with guests and members of the art department. 

Miles Leboeuf, 37, an art major, said that he heard about the exhibition from one of his professors. Leboeuf, who is in the printmaking department at SF State, said he never heard of printmaking until he got into college and he enjoys the program.

Many of the attendants were students of the art department who sought to experience a gallery opening, as well as learn the mechanics behind putting together such an event.

Michael Morales, 42, a grad student of museum studies, was the project manager in charge of setting up the exhibition.

“(It) took a lot of work to get the gallery ready. Twenty-six students helped to get it ready,” Morales said.

In addition to art department students and professors, other members of the campus came out to support the exhibition as well.

Sidra Tufon, a junior biology major, who found the exhibition while perusing the fine art department’s website, said, “(The exhibit is) interesting, especially the houses. The interactive woman sewing newspapers (adds to the liveliness).”

SF State Alumni Toru Sugita (right) and Madoka Sugita (center) view artist Aimée Brown (left) sewing newspapers during her installation at the "Progressive Proof" printmaking gallery opening in the Fine Arts gallery in the Fine Arts Building Sat. Feb. 22. Photo by Tony Santos / Xpress
SF State Alumni Toru Sugita (right) and Madoka Sugita (center) view artist Aimée Brown (left) sewing newspapers during her installation at the “Progressive Proof” printmaking gallery opening in the Fine Arts gallery in the Fine Arts Building Sat. Feb. 22. Photo by Tony Santos / Xpress

Yeh said that she always feels nervous when it comes to displaying her artwork, but that she enjoys how people interact and respond to her work being made of paper. The print work can come off at first as fun and interactive, but for Yeh there is a critical and political reason behind it, that is manufacturing art that is different from the commercial art work and its self sustaining art work. 

Szydlowski said its great seeing her work with the other womens’ pieces because they all fit well together against the white walls and the lighting. Szydlowski also hopes people appreciate print being 3D, “almost like a toy.”

“As a professor it’s our responsibility to have the students look at different art forms and mediums, and being able to see art at a gallery versus on a power point. Progressive Proof (shows) what accomplishing artists are doing,” said Professor of Contemporary Asian Art Santhi Kavuri-Bauer.

The Progressive Proof exhibition will be on display at the Fine Arts Building Wednesdays through Saturdays from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. until Mar. 27.