Mother and child struck by car while crossing Stonestown intersection

Two pedestrians were struck by a vehicle while crossing an intersection at Stonestown Galleria Mall Wednesday.

A woman and her 5-year-old daughter were walking through the crosswalk at 20th Avenue and Buckingham Way when they were struck by a woman’s car as she drove into the shopping center, according to San Francisco Police Department Capt. Curtis Lum.

Police interview an elderly woman who struck a mother and daughter in front of The City Sports Club at the Stonestown Galleria Wednesday, March 18. (Helen Tinna / Xpress)

The mother sustained minor injuries in the incident while the child’s injuries were more severe, Lum said.

“They’ve both been taken to the hospital,” Lum said.

The driver, an 86-year-old woman driving a white Toyota RAV4, said she experienced chest pains after the accident, but declined medical treatment.

Officers noted a dent on the left corner panel of the vehicle. The the driver was unable to confirm if it was a result of the accident.

Officers blocked off the street in front of City Sports Club to incoming traffic and pedestrians while investigators arrived at the scene.

“We have our initial investigator and our traffic collision investigative unit, who handles all the serious collisions,” Lum said.

Trader Joe’s employee Cornelius Jones said he was in the area during the collision and didn’t notice the crash itself but saw the aftermath of the accident. He said the conductor of the car stayed in her vehicle after the collision until police arrived.

“She just pulled to the side and sat there,” Jones said. “The police went over there and started talking to her.”