MEN’S BASKETBALL SUFFERS ROUGH DEFEAT TO TRITONS

SF State (7-5) fell to 1-5 in conference games after suffering a 73-48 loss to University of California, San Diego (11-2). The 25 point differential is the Gators biggest loss of the season.

The Gators shot 27 percent from the field and 24 percent from the 3-point line.

“We we’re open. We got good looks early we just didn’t make any of them,” said coach Paul Trevor. “We got penetration too late on the shot clock and then we forced stuff up.”

On defense the Gators had no answer for guard Aleks Lipovic, who dropped a game high 16 points on 7-11 shooting. The Tritons seemingly couldn’t miss as they shot over 50 percent as a team.

“Every time we left them open they made the shot,” Trevor said. “It was a little frustrating but they’re good.”

Jon McMurry led the Gators with 14 points off the bench, while also grabbing five rebounds. Along with McMurry, guard Warren Jackson provided some life off the bench with 11 points. They were the only two Gators to score double digit points.

The Tritons jumped out to an early lead in the first half and never let go. The Gators were trailing 16-9 midway through the first half when the Tritons went on a tear, scoring 15 unanswered points before Jackson stopped the onslaught with a step back 3.

The Gators would cut the lead to 15 at halftime, but they couldn’t make any shots when they needed them most.

“Every time we had a chance to make a run we never made the shot that we needed to get us into the game,” Trevor said. “We just never made that shot to cut into that lead to put some pressure on them.”

Several times the Gators were able to cut the lead down to 13 points and 11 points, but the Tritons refused to let them go on a run.

“They were very physical, and I don’t think we matched their physicality,” Trevor said.