Gators ride down Broncos in extra innings

SF State Gators right handed pitcher Ryan Bohnet pitches to Cal Poly Pomona Broncos at their game Sat Feb. 27, 2016 at the Maloney Field at SF State. (Gabriela Rodriguez / Xpress)

The SF State baseball team notched their fifth straight victory Saturday, stunning the No. 25 ranked Cal Poly Pomona Broncos 5-4 in extra innings. Game two of the scheduled double header was cut short due to daylight, but the Gators took game one in dramatic fashion.

Trailing 4-3 in the bottom of the 10th inning, second basemen Joe Chedid knocked in two runs to secure the victory for the Gators.

“My approach was basically ground ball up the middle,” Chedid said on the game-winning hit. “Just hit it hard on the ground since they were booting a bunch of balls”

Game one was scoreless through three innings, and after rough fourth inning, the Gators trailed 3-0. The Gators would tie the game at three in the seventh inning and it would stay the same until the Broncos scored in the top of the 10th.

It would be an opposite story in game two, the Gators got out to an early 3-1 lead in the third but it wouldn’t last for long. In the fifth inning, the Broncos tied it at three and after a three-run seventh, they took a 6-3 lead.

Game two was called after the eighth inning but will be finished tomorrow.

Head coach Tony Schifano said his middle relievers have had a big impact on the team’s success as of late.

“So far I’m really thrilled with the middle relief to give us a shot to win some baseball games,” Schifano said. “It’s coming down right now to our offense to find a way to win”

Designated hitter Logan Marston provided much of the offense in game two. The junior had only one hit in three at bats but knocked in two runners to give the Gators their 3-1 lead in the third.

He said the team performed well all day and that they will need to bring the same intensity in order to close out the series on a positive note.

“We gotta bring that back out,” Marston said. “We gotta play defense, defense really matters.

SF State Gator Right Handed Pitcher Zack Zevenbergen is up batting at the Gators baseball game against the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos Sat Feb. 27, 2016 at the Maloney Field at SF State. (Gabriela Rodriguez / Xpress)