President of AS Karina Zamora and Chief of Staff Iese Esera, stand outside of the Cesar Chavez Student Center after the board’s first bi-weekly meeting of the semester on Sept. 5. (Oscar Palma / Golden Gate Xpress) (Oscar Palma)
President of AS Karina Zamora and Chief of Staff Iese Esera, stand outside of the Cesar Chavez Student Center after the board’s first bi-weekly meeting of the semester on Sept. 5. (Oscar Palma / Golden Gate Xpress)

Oscar Palma

Associated Students’ new board of directors aims to build deeper connections with students

The entire Associated Students board is new with the exception of President Karina Zamora.

September 9, 2022

This year’s Associated Students board of directors—SF State’s campus elected student government—wants to create deeper connections with the student body, with the help of their 13 resource based programs.

The programs include: The Queer & Trans Resource Center, Women’s Center, Educational & Referral Organization for Sexuality, Art Gallery, Richard Oakes Multicultural Center, Project Connect, Legal Resource Center, Environmental Resource Center, The Depot, Rack-n-Cue, Productions, Project Rebound and Early Childhood Educational Center.

Each group is funded by the $54 charge students pay during registration, which Associated Students manages.

According to newly elected President of AS and former VP of External Affairs Karina Zamora, student visibility is their biggest goal this semester.

“We’ve been hearing a lot of students saying they’re not familiar with AS, or they know our programs, but they don’t know that they come from us,” Zamora said.

According to Zamora, to improve engagement, AS has tabled outside of the Cesar Chavez Student Center and aims to host more online and in-person forums, where students can learn about their programs. She believes these events will foster a greater connection with the student body.

“We try to use social media as much as we can to promote events that we have,” Zamora said. “I’m trying to harbor a space for them, where they can come relax if they need a break in between classes, grab a bite to eat and take a nap.” 

According to Shanice Robinson, senior director of Culture and Social Justice programs, at least 70% of the population at SF State are commuter students.

Zamora wants these students to know that even though they are not on campus often, they have a place in their programs and community. 

She plans to send surveys and conduct equity audits to record their experiences this year.

“It’s important that we talk to the community because they’re the ones who’s going to be impacted by any change that we do, whether it’s positive or negative,” Robinson said.

Although AS began their work months ago, everyone on the board is new, with the exception of Zamora.

Zamora said that it is both beneficial and challenging to be surrounded by a whole new board.  On one hand, it brings new and unique perspectives but at the same time, onboarding can be challenging for new members. 

New Chief of Staff and senior Music Major Iese Esera, said he joined the board because he wanted to  create the changes he wanted to see on campus.

“I found that a lot of the issues that I was bringing to committees, that I was sitting on as a student leader on campus, they really can get done, fixed and altered in a way that helps SF students through AS,” Esera said.

More information on Associated Students and their 13 programs can be found on their website