VIDEO, PHOTOS: Occupy Oakland protesters clash with riot police

Oakland police in riot gear attempted to disperse protesters gathered at Frank Ogawa Plaza Tuesday night, citing unlawful assembly. During this removal, tensions flared between the Occupy Oakland gathering and police forces.

According to a press release by OPD spokeswoman Cynthia Perkins, “… objects included glass bottles, rocks, pots, pans, kitchen utensils and plates (were thrown) at Police Officers,” during this attempted closure of the encampment. “Police used a limited amount of tear gas for a small area as a defense against protesters who were throwing various objects at Police Officers as they approached the area.”

Various reports on Twitter suggested that rubber bullet and bean bag rounds were fired at the protesters, despite claims from Oakland Police that no rubber bullets were used and only four bean bags were fired.

BART suspended service to the 12th Street station, and nearby freeway exits were closed.

According to photographers on the scene, at least five volleys of tear gas were launched at protesters.

Various news outlets report that Mayor Jean Quan, who was in Washington D.C. for The United States Conference of Mayors, is currently en-route back to Oakland to discuss the tactics used by interim Police Chief Howard Jordan.

The Occupy Oakland Twitter feed announced around midnight that they will reconvene Wednesday evening at 6 p.m. at the corners of 14th & Broadway Streets, and plan to gather every day after until the plaza is “taken back.”

Occupy Oakland
Six-year Navy veteran Joshua Sheperd holds a veterans for peace flag during a demonstration by Occupy Oakland at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Occupy Oakland protesters gather at the intersection of 19th and Broadway Streets to decide on where to march next during a demonstration in Oakland near Frank H. Ogawa Plaza Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
A protester wears a gas mask after Oakland police officers fired tear gas at the crowd during a demonstration by Occupy Oakland at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Oakland police officers fire tear gas at protesters with Occupy Oakland during a demonstration at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Protesters wear gas masks after Oakland police officers fired tear gas at the crowd during a demonstration by Occupy Oakland at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Occupy Oakland
Oakland police officers fire tear gas at protesters with Occupy Oakland during a demonstration at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. on Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Occupy Oakland
Oakland police officers keep an eye on protesters with Occupy Oakland during a demonstration at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Sofia Chicas, left, and Chelsey Millard, pray during a demonstration by Occupy Oakland at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
A protesters yells at officers during for firing tear gas at protesters during a demonstration by Occupy Oakland at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Occupy Oakland
Occupy Oakland
Six-year Navy veteran Joshua Sheperd holds a Veterans for peace flag during a demonstration by Occupy Oakland at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Protesters with Occupy Oakland hold up peace signs during a demonstration at the intersection of 14th and Broadway Streets in Oakland, Calif. Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Erik Verduzco.
Occupy Oakland
Don Reniff and Chelsea Lohr kiss during a march in protest of the evacuation of the Occupy Oakland encampment in the early morning hours of Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. After marching around Oakland for a few hours the protesters were tear-gassed by the police dept. in an effort to get them to disperse. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Protesters marching down 20th Street in Oakland meet with smiles from motorists as they swarm into oncoming traffic on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011 The protesters were upset over the evacuation of the two-week old Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to economic disparity between rich and poor. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
A passing motorist gives a fist bump to a protester marching down 20th Street in Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The protesters were upset over the forced evacuation of the two-week old Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
A man watches out of the window of a bus on 20th Street as a large group of protesters pass by. The people were protesting the previous night's evacuation of the Occupy Oakland protesters from their encampment in front of City Hall. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified protester engages with police on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Police officers face off with protesters in front of Oakland City Hall. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Protesters hold hands and chant while facing off with police in front of Oakland City Hall on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified protester holds the corner of a banner while facing off with police in downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Protesters hold hands and cover their faces after having tear gas canisters fired on them in Downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified man stands in the street in downtown Oakland after having tear gas canisters fired on him on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified man stands in the street in downtown Oakland and makes the peace sign in the direction of a police line on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified police officer fires on a few protesters who remain following a tear gas volley by the police line in front of City Hall in downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified woman on a bicycle ducks to avoid getting shot with pepper balls after the police line at 17th and Broadway fired tear gas at protesters. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Svend Larose covers his mouth but holds his ground after being tear-gassed by police on Tues. Oct. 26, 2011 in downtown Oakland. The Oakland Police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Occupy Oakland
Svend Larose hands off a bottle of water to a woman rushing to the aid of a fallen protester during the Occupy Oakland protest on Tues. Oct. 26, 2011. The Oakland Police Dept. tear-gassed the protesters five times over the span of a few hours. Protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified man sits down after being tear-gassed by police on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The Oakland Police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Tear gas smoke billows out of a canister on Broadway in downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The Oakland Police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An unidentified Oakland Police officer points a gun at protesters during an Occupy Oakland march on tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The Oakland Police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An empty tear gas canister lies in the street in downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2001. The Oakland Police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
A protester makes a peace sign at a police officer in downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
Police hold batons while holding their line in front of Oakland City Hall on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
A dollar bill with the words "Wall Street thanks you" lies on the street in front of a line of police officers in downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.
Occupy Oakland
An empty flash-bang grenade continues to smoke on a sidewalk in downtown Oakland on Tues. Oct. 25, 2011. The police tear-gassed protesters five times over the span of a few hours. The protesters were upset after the Oakland Police forcefully evacuated the Occupy Oakland encampment in front of City Hall that attempted to bring attention to the income disparity between rich and poor in the country. Photo by Elijah Nouvelage.