The Mashouf Wellness Center, fenced off on the SF State campus on Sept. 30, 2020. (Ricardo Olivares / Golden Gate Xpress) (Ricardo Olivares)
The Mashouf Wellness Center, fenced off on the SF State campus on Sept. 30, 2020. (Ricardo Olivares / Golden Gate Xpress)

Ricardo Olivares

SF State becomes COVID-19 vaccination site

January 29, 2021

Starting Wednesday, Feb. 3, SF State will be providing a space for COVID-19 vaccinations, according to an update posted Friday afternoon by Student Health Services.

The vaccination program is being directed by the San Francisco Department of Public Health — in conjunction with Safeway — which will be providing the medical personnel and vaccines. SF State will be hosting the vaccination effort in the Mashouf Wellness Center every Wednesday and Thursday.

According to Student Affairs & Enrollment Management Associate Vice President Gene Chelberg, who has been actively engaged in helping to plan and shape the university’s response to COVID-19, the campus will see up to 300 vaccinations per day. 

“I think lots of us are excited that there is a vaccine or our vaccines are available now,” Chelberg said. “And anything that we can do to help and support distribution of the vaccine is a win-win for everybody.”

In an email sent out by Student Health Services Director Roger Elrod, the department reiterated that “while SF State is hosting the vaccination site, it is not responsible for determining eligibility.” SFDPH is currently offering the vaccine to city residents or workers 65 and older, as well as those with a high exposure risk.

SF State will be providing its facilities for vaccination free of charge, according to Chelberg, although not without getting something in return. “In exchange, we are given the opportunity to invite anyone affiliated with San Francisco State who meets the eligibility requirement to register,” he said.

At about 3,500 cases per 100,000 residents, San Francisco fares better than the California average of over 8,000. But with over 30,000 reported cases, and 317 deaths, San Francisco still has a long way to go towards mass-inoculation. Only one week after the city announced its first mass vaccination site, SF State has announced its intent to be a part of that effort.

Photo of Jess Magill
Jess Magill
Magill was born in San Francisco but spent about half of his life living in France. He moved back to the Bay in 2015, and in his spare time he tends to his herbs and veggies, sitting alone with his thoughts anguishing over the existential dangers facing his generation.

• N

NancyFeb 24, 2021 at 9:11 am

If anyone is still wondering how to sign up, check out:
    sf.gov/vaccine-sites

• M

Margaret GriszFeb 4, 2021 at 11:25 am

Hello,

Please let me know how to register for a CoVid vaccination at SFSU Campus Health Center. I am a San Francisco resident,
    age 69 with compromised lungs from a severe asthma, and an alumni of SFSU.

Thank you so much!
    Margaret
    415-722-5454, for call or text if easier for you. Email is also fine.

• K

Karen FitzgeraldFeb 3, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Hi,
    I went to SFSU in the 90’s. My mom is 81, has Kaiser, and has been told that they don’t have a vaccine for her yet (most recently, I helped her check her Kaiser login, and they still don’t have one for her). She is not taking classes, but she did go to San Jose State in the early 60’s. Can she get a vaccine at SFSU?
    Thanks,
    Karen F

• Y

Yvette MacPheeFeb 2, 2021 at 9:36 pm

How would one register for an appointment for the vaccine?

4