SF State to offer abortion pill starting January 2023

Students expressed support for the abortion pill on International Safe Abortion Day.

October 10, 2022

SF State’s Student Health Services will soon provide abortion pills to students. The pills will be available starting Jan. 1, 2023.

SB-24, passed in 2019, made California the first state in the nation to require public universities to offer the abortion pill.

According to the SB-24, while all universities have on-campus student health centers, none of these health centers currently provide abortion medication by techniques.

“I think it’s important for us as a community here at SF State to make sure we’re aware of what’s going on and the circumstances that women are facing in the United States,” said SF State student Rafael Fabianai.

Adversely, UC Berkeley has been providing the abortion pill to their students since 2020.

According to the UC Berkeley University Health Services website, the medication Mifepristone is offered to students who have been pregnant for up to 70 days or 10 weeks.

Student activists joined together for a rally on International Safe Abortion Day on Sept. 28 in front of the Cesar Chavez Student Center to support a woman’s right to choose. Those willing to speak about their feelings or experiences got on stage while others stood around Malcolm X Plaza listening.

SF State student Kassie Malta said the abortion pill’s introduction will affect women positively and give them more options.

“It’s important to have access to all these resources so that way abortion access is easier for everybody because that’s a human right,’’ Malta said.

According to Director of Health Promotion and Wellness Karen Boyce, Student Health Services already offers an array of sexual and reproductive health services. Students can currently access birth control, gynecology, STI testing, vaccines, pregnancy tests and emergency contraception.

“It’s important because it’s just something that’s been going on in society right now and it’s a big deal,’’ said student Daniel Peña. “We’re all young and we’re all still experiencing and learning new things so in the end, this should be something that should be on campus.”

More information on how to access medical abortion services will be available on the SF State student health services website later in the fall semester.