Navid Mehdipour listens during the Q&A portion of Turning Point USA’s event featuring Riley Gaines at SF State on Thursday, April 6, 2023. Mehdipour is the president for the SF State chapter of Turning Point USA. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)
Navid Mehdipour listens during the Q&A portion of Turning Point USA’s event featuring Riley Gaines at SF State on Thursday, April 6, 2023. Mehdipour is the president for the SF State chapter of Turning Point USA. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress)

Miguel Francesco Carrion

How Turning Point USA uses controversy to fuel growth

Since becoming a school-sanctioned student organization, TPUSA has garnered national attention by bringing divisive politics to campus.

April 10, 2023

On April 6, SF State made national headlines when former University of Kentucky swimmer Riley Gaines hid from transgender rights activists in a barricaded room for over three hours following her controversial speech about trans women in sports. As protesters outside the room chanted “trans rights are human rights,” Gaines tweeted from inside: “The prisoners are running the asylum at SFSU.”

A sign reads “Only you can prevent socialism.” at a meet-and-greet for San Francisco State clubs and organizations at the SF State Quad on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. (Benjamin Fanjoy / Golden Gate Express) (Benjamin Fanjoy)

The event was hosted by Turning Point USA, an organization founded in 2012 by conservative commentator Charlie Kirk. While TPUSA claims to focus on freedom, free markets and limited government, it garners the most attention when it comes to hot-button issues like abortion, vaccinations and LGBTQ+ rights.

TPUSA has over 600 chapters at colleges and high schools across the United States. This semester, SF State became one of those schools.

The TPUSA chapter at SF State, created by Broadcast and Electronic Communications Arts student Navid Mehdipour, debuted during the first week of the spring semester. Mehdipour said he discovered TPUSA when the organization tabled at Diablo Valley College, the school he previously attended. At the time, he was not heavily involved in politics; however, Mehdipour found himself aligning with the conservative beliefs of the organization. This was around the time of Donald Trump’s presidency, and when Mehdipour expressed support for him, he was met with backlash.

“Why am I being oppressed and getting attacked because of my political beliefs?” he asked. “I’m just saying something like everybody else. I just have a point of view; I just have my own beliefs.”

The beliefs of Mehdipour — and of TPUSA as a whole — are often controversial. On March 16, Mehdipour hosted a meeting about abortion in the Cesar Chavez Student Center. Members in attendance spoke about whether it is acceptable for women who become pregnant as a result of sexual assault to receive abortions. TPUSA has publicly promoted the idea that abortion is immoral, even for victims of assault.

On the subject of COVID-19, Mehdipour sought accountability for alleged vaccine-related deaths and claimed the science behind wearing masks is fake.

Navid Mehdipour looks at the crowd turnout before the start of Turning Point USA’s event featuring Riley Gaines at SF State on Thursday, April 6, 2023. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)

“Pfizer, Moderna, they are killing people with their vaccines,” he said. “Stuff that we’ve seen, it’s not a matter of opinion. It’s just [a] fact.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed nine deaths related to COVID-19 vaccinations. These were caused by rare blood clots after patients were injected with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

While Mehdipour clarified that his personal views do not represent TPUSA, anti-vaccine and anti-abortion rhetoric is prominent in the organization’s literature. The TPUSA website has an entire page dedicated to platforming misinformation about vaccines, sharing stories that highlight claims about negative side effects.

When it comes to TPUSA’s national controversies, abortion and vaccines are only the beginning.

The organization is perhaps most famous for bringing big-name conservatives to college campuses across the country. Over the years, personalities such as Ben Shapiro, Candace Owens, Kyle Rittenhouse and Milo Yiannopoulos have taken the stage for TPUSA.

Since being acquitted of murder after shooting three and killing two protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, Rittenhouse has been a mainstay of the TPUSA live circuit. Yiannopoulos, who came under fire in 2017 after claiming that pedophilic relationships between younger boys and older men can be beneficial to young boys, has not worked with TPUSA since. In a New York Times article published after the controversy, though, Kirk clarified that his organization would only be taking a break from engaging with him directly.

Multiple TPUSA live events have sparked large protests over the years, some escalating to violence. In March, two people were arrested and one police officer was injured when Kirk spoke at UC Davis. A group of protesters smashed several windows outside of the venue before the event. There were also reports of eggs thrown and pepper spray used by protesters in the crowd of approximately 100 people.

Riley Gaines stands behind the podium before her speaking event at SF State hosted by Turning Point USA on Thursday, April 6, 2023. (Miguel Francesco Carrion) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)

On April 6, SF State received its first taste of the TPUSA live experience.

Gaines, who swam against Lia Thomas at the 2022 NCAA championships, visited campus to talk about trans women in sports. According to Gaines, trans athletes like Thomas possess unfair biological advantages.

When Gaines and Thomas competed against each other in the women’s 200-meter freestyle, they tied for fifth place. The four swimmers who placed ahead of them were all cisgender women. Advertisements for the Gaines event referred to Thomas as a biological male, and implored students to “help Riley in her fight to save women’s sports.”

The event evoked an impassioned response from students at SF State. On March 30 — just a week before Gaines came to campus — TPUSA College Field Representative David Llamas posted videos on Twitter of his interactions with SF State students.

One video showed a student blowing their nose into a Riley Gaines poster as Llamas tabled for TPUSA in the quad. In another, he recorded a student after they allegedly smashed his iPad. “Get that shit out of my face,” the student demanded as Llamas followed them into the J. Paul Leonard Library. “This is the behavior of fascists,” he responded.

“You’re allowed to disagree with Riley,” Llamas said. “I’m sure that even Riley and I don’t see eye-to-eye on everything. We just want to start a dialogue.”

After weeks of growing tension, Gaines spoke to a maximum capacity crowd of approximately 75 people in Room 310 of the HSS Building. Over 100 protesters filed into the hall outside of the venue, their chants of “trans women are women” bleeding into the room. Inside, another group of protesters passed around a black Sharpie to write messages on their faces: “Trans lives matter,” “Ur lame” and “You want me dead.” They stomped along to the rhythm of the chants pouring in from outside.

Riley Gaines speaks to a maximum capacity crowd in Room 310 of the HSS Building at SF State on Thursday, April 6, 2023. A majority of the crowd were protestors who organized a sit-in at the event. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)

“I really am glad that a lot of people here don’t agree with me,” Gaines said. “I want to reach the people who don’t agree with me. What good would it be to sit here and talk with people who agree with me?”

As soon as the event concluded, numerous protesters from outside cascaded into Room 310. They swarmed Gaines, shouting and pumping their fists, as she backed into the corner of the room. Three officers from the University Police Department escorted Gaines away from the crowd, rushing her down the hall into Room 325. Approximately 50 protesters surrounded the door as UPD created a barricade around it.

For over three hours, protesters stood their ground outside of the room. Behind them, a trans flag hung on the wall from thin strips of tape. They chanted, banged their fists against walls and danced to songs like “money machine” by 100 gecs and “I Don’t Like” by Chief Keef as UPD collaborated with the San Francisco Police Department to safely extract Gaines. She was unable to leave campus until nearly midnight.

Gaines took to social media — and even national television — to claim that she was punched by a “man dressed as a woman” during the frenzy. “I was ambushed and physically hit twice by a man,” Gaines tweeted from inside the room. “This is proof that women need sex-protected spaces.” Golden Gate Xpress had eight reporters inside and outside the event taking photos, recording video and observing from the time she arrived until she was ushered into the safe room. GGX staff did not witness the alleged assault by the person Gaines described.

The protest sparked an outcry from several prominent conservative figures, including Kirk himself. “Violent trans radicals assaulted Riley Gaines at a TPUSA event on campus at [SF State] tonight,” Kirk wrote in a tweet. “The Alphabet Mafia continues its terror.”

It even prompted a statement of support from Republican Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy. “This is an appalling attack on free speech on a college campus,” McCarthy tweeted. “House Republicans stand with Riley Gaines and her brave and tireless efforts to protect women’s sports.”

On April 10, four days after the Gaines event, SF State President Lynn Mahoney responded to the controversy in a campus-wide email. “To our trans community, please know how welcome you are,” Mahoney wrote. “We will turn this moment into an opportunity to listen and learn about how we can better support you.”

The protest was not the only response to the Gaines event at SF State. On the same day, the AS Queer & Trans Resource Center hosted an event of its own — a mixer in the Cesar Chavez Student Center to celebrate trans and queer athletes.

Queer & Trans Resource Center Director Chloe Simson and co-director Jeremy Lark believed that the mixer would be more productive than a direct demonstration of the Gaines event. However, they supported anybody who decided to protest.

“We had received requests from students to organize a protest movement, and we were considering setting that up,” Lark said. “But we have to acknowledge that that’s Turning Point’s MO. They want to create a big confrontation so that they can paint themselves as the silenced minority.”

In total, approximately 80 people attended the mixer. Roughly half of them made their way to the Gaines event afterwards.

Protesters congregate along the stairwell outside of the room where Riley Gaines was speaking during the event at SF State on Thursday, April 6, 2023. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)

Simson said the Queer & Trans Resource Center received numerous complaints from students who are not comfortable with TPUSA’s presence on campus. Within TPUSA’s first hour of tabling alone, Simson received 24 complaints.

“This was the first time I’ve seen anything this overtly transphobic on our campus,” Simson said. “This is very direct intimidation and discrimination.”

Mehdipour, who introduced Gaines at the event, said that violence actually stems from the side of trans advocates.

“We’re not harming anybody,” he said. “First of all, what happened in Nashville, Tennessee, three children and three adults got harmed by a shooter who happened to be transgender.”

Mehdipour is referring to a shooting that happened at a private Christian school in Nashville on March 27. The shooter, who identified as trans, killed three children and three staff members. According to statistics from Gun Violence Archive, there have been 2,861 mass shootings (four or more people shot or killed) since 2018. Only three of those shooters identified as trans.

Marc Stein, an SF State professor and historian of gender and sexuality, said that the portrayal of trans people in the media is creating harm.

“The problem that law has currently is that it maintains strict distinctions between physical harm and psychological harm,” Stein said. “Speech that can be directly linked to physical harm is not protected, but speech that causes psychological harm… today’s dominant understanding is that we can’t really do anything about that.”

Despite this, Stein expressed concerns about whether TPUSA’s rhetoric crosses the line of free speech.

“There’s a defamation and slander exception to free speech,” he said. “It’s in question about whether certain ways of referring to trans people might constitute defamation, slander or libel.”

Stein also questioned whether TPUSA’s event violated state obscenity laws or incited imminent unlawful activity, both of which are exceptions to free speech.

This isn’t the only instance of TPUSA provoking gender-related controversy at SF State. On Oct. 1 of last year, a video was posted to the TPUSA at SF State Instagram account displaying a tampon dispensary in the men’s restroom. The caption of the video, which was recorded by Mehdipour, mockingly states “#mywokeschool.” It currently has over 4,500 views and 120 likes, making it the most popular post on the Instagram page.

While some agreed with Mehdipour’s sentiment, others took issue with the video. “Weirdest thing here is the person filming in the bathroom,” one user commented.

On behalf of trans students, Simson and Lark are demanding that SF State take action against TPUSA. Not only are they calling for the organization to be removed from campus, but they also want the university to make a public statement denouncing TPUSA’s transphobia.

“Free speech does not prevent the university from making a statement against transphobia,” Simson said. “I’m very strongly encouraging the administration to make a stand because this is not something that can be overlooked.”

In a statement that was emailed to the campus community before the Gaines event, Dean of Students Pam Su and Assistant Dean of Students Chris Trudell offered their stance on the issue of free speech.

“SF State is a publicly-funded state institution, and by law, we are required to provide opportunities and venues for free speech to any entity that requests it,” they wrote. Su and Trudell did not directly address the Gaines event, nor concerns about transphobia on campus.

Su did not respond to a request for comment before the event. Trudell, who was in attendance at the Gaines event, declined to comment.

The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), a nonprofit organization that protects free speech rights on college campuses, supports TPUSA’s right to host events on campus — no matter how controversial.

“The university would not be able to shut down the event, or to silence the speaker, or otherwise interfere with [TPUSA’s] right to host this event under the First Amendment,” said FIRE Senior Program Officer Zach Greenberg.

However, Greenberg also asserted that people have the right to protest within certain limits.

“For these events, students, protesters [and] audience members have the right to protest the event,” Greenberg said. “They can hold signs, they can question the speaker, they can do everything they want to do, expression-wise, up to the point of disrupting the speaker.”

As the Queer & Trans Resource Center fights to remove Mehdipour’s organization from campus, he reflects on the future of TPUSA at SF State. He expects to graduate from the BECA department at the end of the Spring 2023 semester. While he might not be around to see what becomes of his TPUSA chapter, he believes that his work this semester will have a lasting impact on the campus.

“I hope I could make people awake,” Mehdipour said. “Because wokeness is destroying America. And I love America.”

Cómo Turning Point USA utiliza la polémica para impulsar el crecimiento

Miguel Francesco Carrion

Navid Mehdipour escucha durante la parte de preguntas y respuestas del evento de Turning Point USA que presenta a Riley Gaines en SF State el jueves 6 de abril de 2023. Mehdipour es el presidente de la sección de Turning Point USA en SF State. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress)

Desde que se convirtió en una organización estudiantil autorizada por la escuela, TPUSA ha acaparado la atención nacional por llevar la política de división al campus.

El 6 de abril, SF State fue noticia nacional cuando la ex nadadora de la Universidad de Kentucky, Riley Gaines, se escondió de los activistas por los derechos de las personas transgénero en una sala atrincherada durante más de tres horas tras su polémico discurso sobre las mujeres trans en el deporte. Mientras los manifestantes fuera de la sala coreaban “los derechos trans son derechos humanos”, Gaines tuiteó desde dentro: “Los presos dirigen el asilo en la SFSU”.

Un letrero dice “sólo tú puedes evitar el socialismo” en un encuentro con organizaciones y clubs de San Francisco State en el quad de SF State el Lunes 30 de enero de 2023. (Benjamin Fanjoy / Golden Gate Xpress) (Benjamin Fanjoy)

El evento fue organizado por Turning Point USA, una organización fundada en 2012 por el comentarista conservador Charlie Kirk. Mientras TPUSA afirma centrarse en la libertad, el libre mercado y un gobierno limitado, acapara la mayor atención cuando se trata de cuestiones candentes como el aborto, las vacunas y los derechos de los LGBTQ+.

TPUSA tiene más de 600 secciones en universidades e institutos por todo Estados Unidos. Este semestre, SF State se ha convertido en una de esas escuelas.

La sección de TPUSA en SF State, creada por el estudiante de Artes de la Radiodifusión y las Comunicaciones Electrónicas (BECA), Navid Mehdipour, debutó durante la primera semana del semestre de Primavera. Mehdipour dijo que había descubierto TPUSA cuando la organización estuvo de campaña en Diablo Valley College, la escuela a la que atendió previamente. En aquel momento no estaba muy involucrado en política, pero Mehdipour se alineó con las creencias conservadoras de la organización. Esto ocurrió en la época de la presidencia de Donald Trump, y cuando Mehdipour expresó su apoyo por el ahora ex-presidente, se encontró con reacciones en contra. 

“¿Por qué se me está oprimiendo y atacando por mis ideas políticas?”, preguntó. “Sólo estoy diciendo algo como el resto del mundo. Sólo tengo un punto de vista; sólo tengo mis propias creencias”.

Las creencias de Mehdipour – y de TPUSA al completo – son polémicas generalmente. El 16 de Marzo, Mehdipour organizó una reunión sobre el aborto en el Centro de Estudiantes César Chavez. Miembros presentes hablaron sobre si era acceptable que abortaran las mujeres que se quedaran embarazadas como resultado de una agresión sexual. TPUSA ha promovido publicamente que la idea del aborto es inmoral, incluso para víctimas de agresión. 

En relación con el COVID-19, Mehdipour pidió responsabilidades por supuestas muertes relacionadas con las vacunas y afirmó que la ciencia detrás del uso de mascarillas es falsa. 

Navid Mehdipour mira a la multitud antes del inicio del evento de Turning Point USA con Riley Gaines en SF State el jueves 6 de abril de 2023. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)

“Pfizer, Moderna, están matando a gente con sus vacunas”, dijo. ” Cosas que hemos visto no es una cuestión de opinión. Es simplemente [un] hecho”.

Los Centros de Control y Prevención de las Enfermedades han confirmado nueve muertes relacionadas con las vacunaciones de COVID-19. Estas fueron causadas por raros coágulos de sangre  después de que a los pacientes se les inyectara la vacuna de Johnson & Johnson.

Mientras que Mehdipour clarificó que su opinión personal no representan a TPUSA, la retórica antivacunas y antiaborto destaca en la literatura de la organización. La web de TPUSA tiene una página entera dedicada a difundir desinformación sobre vacunas, compartir historias que destacan las afirmaciones sobre los efectos secundarios negativos. 

En lo que respecta a las polémicas nacionales de TPUSA, el aborto y las vacunas son sólo el principio.

La organización es quizá más famosa por traer a conservadores de renombre a los campus universitarios por todo el país. A lo largo de los años, personalidades como Ben Shapiro, Candace Owens, Kyle Rittenhouse y Milo Yiannopoulos han subido al escenario de TPUSA.

Desde que fue absuelto de asesinato tras disparar a tres personas y matar a dos manifestantes en Kenosha (Wisconsin), Rittenhouse ha sido uno de los pilares del circuito de directos de TPUSA. Yiannopoulos, que fue objeto de críticas en 2017 tras afirmar que las relaciones pedófilas entre niños pequeños y hombres mayores pueden ser beneficiosas para los jóvenes, no ha trabajado con TPUSA desde entonces. Sin embargo, en un artículo del New York Times publicado tras la polémica, Kirk aclaró que su organización solo iba a dejar de colaborar directamente con él.

Múltiples eventos en directo han provocado grandes protestas a los largo de los años, algunas llegando a la violencia. En Marzo, dos personas fueron arrestadas y un oficial de policía fue herido cuando Kirk habló en UC Davis. Un grupo de manifestantes destrozaron varias ventanas del exterior del local antes del evento. También se informó del lanzamiento de huevos y spray de pimienta utilizados por los manifestantes, con una multitud de 100 personas aproximadamente. 

El 6 de Abril, SF State probó por primera vez la experiencia TPUSA en directo. 

Gaines, que nadó contra Lia Thomas en los campeonatos de la NCAA de 2022, visitó el campus para hablar de las mujeres trans en los deportes. Según Gaines, las atletas trans como Thomas poseen ventajas biológicas injustas. 

Cuando Gaines y Thomas compitieron la una contra la otra en los 200 metros libres femeninos, empataron en el quinto lugar. Las cuatro nadadoras que quedaron por delante de ellas eran todas mujeres cisgénero. Los anuncios del evento de Gaines se referían a Thomas como un hombre biológico, e imploraban a los estudiantes que “ayudaran a Riley a luchar para salvar los deportes femeninos”. 

El evento suscitó una respuesta apasionada por parte de los estudiantes de SF State. El 30 de marzo — justo una semana antes de que Gaines acudiera al campus — el representante de TPUSA en la universidad David Llamas publicó videos en Twitter de sus interacciones con los estudiantes de SF State. 

Un vídeo mostraba a un estudiante sonándose la nariz con un póster de Riley Gaines mientras Llamas promocionaba el evento en el quad. En otro, grabó a un estudiante después de que supuestamente destrozara su Ipad. “Quitame esa mierda de la cara”, exigió el estudiante mientras Llamas le seguía al interior de la Biblioteca J. Paul Leonard. “Este es el comportamiento de los fascistas”, respondió.

“Puedes estar en desacuerdo con Riley”, dijo Llamas. “Estoy seguro que incluso Riley y yo no coincidimos en todo. Solo queremos empezar un diálogo.”

Después de semanas de creciente tensión, Gaines habló ante un aforo con una capacidad máxima de 75 personas aproximadamente en la sala 310 del edificio de Salud y Ciencias Sociales (HSS). Más de 100 manifestantes llenaron y se agolparon fuera de la sala, y sus cánticos de “las mujeres trans son mujeres” invadieron la sala. Dentro, otro grupo de manifestantes se pasaban un rotulador negro para escrbir mensajes en sus caras: “Las vidas trans importan”, “das pena” y “me quieres muertx”. Zapateaban al ritmo de los cánticos que llegaban del exterior. 

Riley Gaines habla a una multitud con capacidad máxima en la sala 310 del edificio de HSS en SF State el jueves 6 de abril de 2023. La mayoría de la multitud eran manifestantes que organizaron una sentada en el evento. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)

“Me alegro mucho de que mucha gente aquí no esté de acuerdo conmigo”, dijo Gaines. “Quiero llegar a gente que no está de acuerdo conmigo. ¿Qué bien haría que me sentara aquí y que hablara con gente que está de acuerdo conmigo?”

Tan pronto como el evento finalizó, numerosos manifestantes del exterior entraron en cascada en la sala 310. Se abalanzaron sobre Gaines, gritando y alzando sus puños, mientras ella retrocedía a una esquina de la habitación. Tres oficiales del Departamento de Policía de la Universidad escoltaron a Gaines lejos de la multitud, llevándola a toda prisa por el pasillo hasta la sala 325. Aproximadamente 50 manifestantes rodearon la puerta mientras el UPD creaba una barricada a su alrededor. 

Durante más de tres horas, los manifestantes se mantuvieron firmes fuera de la sala. Detrás de ellos, una bandera trans colgaba de la pared con tiras finas de cinta adhesiva. Corearon, golpearon las paredes con los puños y bailaron canciones como “Money Machine” de 100 gecs y “I Don’t Like” de Chief Keef mientras el UPD colaboraba con el Departamento de Policía de San Francisco para sacar a salvo a Gaines. No pudo abandonar el campus hasta casi medianoche.

Gaines acudió a las redes sociales —  e incluso a la televisión nacional —  para afirmar que había sido golpeada por un “hombre vestido de mujer” durante el frenesí. “Fui emboscada y golpeada físicamente dos veces por un hombre”, tuiteó Gaines desde el interior de la sala. “Esta es la prueba de que las mujeres necesitan espacios con protección sexual”. Golden Gate Xpress tenía ocho reporteros dentro y fuera del evento tomando fotos, grabando vídeo y observando desde el momento en que llegó hasta que fue conducida a la sala segura. El personal de GGX no presenció la supuesta agresión de la persona descrita por Gaines.

La protesta provocó las protestas de varias figuras conservadoras prominentes, incluído el mismo Kirk. “Los radicales trans violentos agredieron a Riley Gaines en el evento de TPUSA en el campus [de SF State] esta noche”, Kirk escribió en un tweet. “La Mafia del Alfabeto continúa con su terror”.

Incluso provocó una declaración de apoyo por parte del Presidente de la Cámara de Representantes, el republicano Kevin McCarthy. “Se trata de un ataque horrible a la libertad de expresión en un campus universitario”, tuiteó McCarthy. “Los republicanos de la Cámara de Representantes apoyamos a Riley Gaines y a su valentía e incansable esfuerzo para proteger el deporte femenino”. 

El 10 de abril, cuatro días después del evento de Gaines, la presidenta de SF State Lynn Mahoney respondió a la polémica en un email dirigido a todo el campus. “A nuestra comunidad trans, por favor sepan lo bienvenidos que son”, dijo Mahoney. “Convertiremos este momento en una oportunidad para escuchar y aprender acerca de cómo podemos apoyarlos mejor”.

La protesta no fue la única respuesta al evento de Gaines en SF State. El mismo día, el Centro de Recursos Queer y Trans organizó su propio evento — una celebración en el Centro de Estudiantes César Chávez que homenajeaba a los atletas trans y queer. 

La Directora del Centro de Recursos Queer y Trans Chloe Simson y el co-director Jeremy Lark consideraron que el evento sería más productivo que una manifestación directa al evento de Gaines. Sin embargo, apoyaban a cualquiera que decidiera protestar. 

“Hemos recibido peticiones de los estudiantes para organizar un movimiento de protesta, y estábamos considerando organizarlo”, dijo Lark. “Pero tenemos que reconocer que ese es el modus operandi de Turning Point. Quieren crear una gran confrontación para poder pintarse como la minoría silenciada”. 

En total, aproximadamente 80 personas atendieron el evento. Aproximadamente la mitad de ellos se dirigieron después al evento más tarde. 

Simpson dijo que el Centro de Recursos Trans y Queer recibió numerosas quejas de estudiantes que no estaban cómodos con la presencia de TPUSA en el campus. Solo en la primera hora que TPUSA estuvo promocionando en el quad, Simson recibió  24 quejas. 

Los manifestantes se congregan a lo largo de la escalera fuera de la sala donde Riley Gaines estaba hablando durante el evento en SF State el jueves 6 de abril de 2023. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)

“Esta es la primera vez que veo algo tan abiertamente transfóbico en nuestro campus”, dijo Simson. “Esta es una intimidación y discriminicación muy directa”. 

Mehdipour, quien presentó a Gaines en el evento, dijo que la violencia realmente viene del lado de los defensores trans. 

“No estamos haciendo daño a nadie”, dijo. “Lo primero de todo, lo que paso en Nashville, Tennessee, tres niños y tres adultos fueron heridos por un tirador que resultó ser transgénero”. 

Mehdipour se refiere al tiroteo que sucedió en una escuela cristiana privada en Nashville el 27 de marzo. El tirador, que se identificó como trans, mató a tres niños y tres miembros del personal. Según las estadísticas del Archivo de Violencia Armada, ha habido 2,861 tiroteos masivos (donde cuatro o más personas fueron disparadas y matadas) desde 2018. Solo tres de esos tiradores se identificaron como trans. 

Marc Stein, un profesor de SF State e historiador de género y sexualidad, dijo que la representación de las personas trans en los medios está causando daño. 

“El problema que la ley tiene actualmente es que mantiene distinciones estrictas entre el daño físico y el daño psicológico”, dijo Stein. “El discurso que puede ser directamente relacionado con el daño físico no está protegido, pero el discurso que causa daño psicológico… el entendimiento dominante es que no podemos hacer nada al respecto”. 

A pesar de esto, Stein expresó sus preocupaciones sobre si la retórica de TPUSA cruza la línea de la libertad de expresión. 

“Existe una excepción a la libertad de expresión por difamación y calumnia”, dijo. “Se cuestiona si ciertas formas de referirse a las personas trans pueden constituir difamación, calumnia o injuria”.

Stein también cuestionó si el evento de TPUSA violó las leyes estatales de obscenidad o incitación a una actividad ilegal inminente, ambas son excepciones de la libertad de expresión. 

Este no es el único caso en que TPUSA ha provocado la polémica relacionada con el género en SF State. El 1 de octubre del año pasado, se publicó un video en la cuenta de Instagram de TPUSA en SF State mostrando un dispensador de tampones en el baño de hombres. El pie de foto del vídeo, que fue grabado por Mehdipour, dice burlonamente “#mywokeschool”. Actualmente tiene más de 4.500 visitas y 120 me gusta, lo que lo convierte en el post más popular de la página de Instagram.

Mientras algunos estaban de acuerdo con Mehdipour, otros no lo estaban con el vídeo. “Lo más raro aquí es la persona grabando en el baño”, comentó un usuario. 

En nombre de los estudiantes trans, Simson y Lark están exigiendo que SF State tome medidas contra TPUSA. No solo están pidiendo que la organización desaparezca del campus, sino también quieren que la universidad haga un comunicado público denunciando la transfobia de TPUSA. 

“La libertad de expresión no impide que la universidad haga un comunicado en contra de la transfobia”, dijo Simson. “Animo encarecidamente a la administración a que se pronuncie porque esto no es algo que pueda pasarse por alto”.

En un comunicado que se envió a la comunidad del campus antes del evento de Gaines, el Decano de Estudiantes Pam Su y el Decano de Estudiantes Asistente Chris Trudell ofrecieron su postura sobre el tema de la libertad de expresión. 

“SF State es una institución estatal financiada con fondos públicos y, por ley, estamos obligados a ofrecer oportunidades y espacios para la libertad de expresión a cualquier entidad que lo solicite”, escribieron. Su y Trudell no abordaron directamente el evento de Gaines, ni las preocupaciones sobre la transfobia en el campus.

Su no respondió a la petición de comentarios antes del evento. Trudell, que asistió al evento de Gaines, declinó hacer comentarios. 

La Fundación de Derechos Individuales y Expresión (FIRE), una organización sin fines de lucro que protege los derechos de libertad de expresión en los campus universitarios, apoya el derecho de TPUSA de organizar eventos en el campus — por muy polémicos que sean. 

“La universidad no podría cancelar el evento, ni silenciar su orador, ni interferir de otra manera con el derecho [de TPUSA] de celebrar este evento en virtud de la Primera Enmienda”, dijo el Oficial Superior de Programas de FIRE Zach Greenberg.

Sin embargo, Greenberg también afirmó que la gente tiene derecho a protestar dentro de ciertos límites. 

“En estos eventos, los estudiantes, los manifestantes [y] el público tienen derecho a protestar”, dijo Greenberg. “Pueden llevar pancartas, pueden cuestionar al orador, pueden hacer todo lo que quieran, desde el punto de vista de la expresión, hasta el punto de interrumpir al orador”.

Mientras el Centro de Recursos Queer y Trans lucha para expulsar a la organización de Mehdipour del campus, él reflexiona sobre el futuro de TPUSA en SF State. Espera graduarse del departamento de BECA al final del semestre de primavera de 2023. Aunque puede que no esté para ver en qué se convierte la sección de TPUSA, cree que su trabajo este semestre tendrá un impacto duradero en el campus. 

“Espero hacer que la gente despierte”, dijo Mehdipour. “Porque el wokeness está destruyendo América. Y yo amo América”.

[Escrito por Aiden Brandy traducido por Andrea Gallego Rodriguez]