Gators buck the broncos 3-2 at SFSU senior night

The SF State women’s soccer team won their final home game of the season Friday defeating Cal Poly Pomona by a score of 3-2.

It was the final game ever for four of the Gators seniors with friends and family cheering on Karin Nordin, Molly Schuster, Danielle Vidal, and Kaylyn Toyama as they they were recognized before the game.

“Having teammates on the team with one more game makes you just want to play hard for them,” said forward Bianca Lowe. “The seniors played a great role this year.”

In an eventful first half, the Broncos peppered goalie Karin Nordin with shots to start the game, but the defense was able to hold off the early surge.

“I think there was just a lot of emotion with it being senior day, we came out a little over emotional and kind of nervous,” said head coach Tracy Hamm.

[slideshow_deploy id=’68911′]

The nerves wouldn’t hinder the Gators too long as they would go on to dominate shots and possession for the rest of the half.

The Gators first shot proved to be successful when Defender Laura Shea found the back of the net from close range on an assist from Seniors Toyama and Schuster in the 16th minute to give them a 1-0 lead.

Another goal late in the half sent the Gators up 2-0 at the half when Paige Yeider put the ball into the top right corner of an empty net off a pass from Autumn Fox after the Broncos goalie left the goal trying to get the ball near the far left edge of the box

Things would get tense for the Gators in the second half due to the Broncos being able to chip away at the lead on a rocket shot from 20 yards out that cut the lead in half. But the Gators would keep pushing forward eventually getting a third goal when Taylor Halstenson scored her first goal of the season hitting a shot from just inside the box.

“I just know we wanted to score more goals. We weren’t going to let down,” Lowe said.

The broncos were able to score one more time in the 88th minute,  but it was too late. The Gators managed to hold off in the final minute for their second win in a row.

The Gators win capped off a successful season playing at home posting a 5-3-1 record at Cox Stadium.

“The home field was great today, a lot of emotion and fun energy,” Hamm said. “The crowd definitely added to the environment today and it helped us get our win.”

The condition of Cox Stadium also served as a home field advantage today and during the course of the season.

“I think that we use the disadvantaged field to our advantage,” said defender Chelsea Frostick. “The other teams weren’t ready or used to how bouncy the balls were.”

Even though the Gators will need some help from other teams to make the playoffs this year, they remain focused only worrying on what they can control.

“Hopefully some games fall our way today and on next weekend so we can make playoffs,” Hamm said. “We’ll just keep focused on our goal to make it and just handle what we can handle.”

The Gators close their season out this Friday when they hit the road to play Chico State University for their season finale.