SF State alumnus Danny Glover speaks at College anniversary

Danny+Glover%2C+actor%2C+activist+and+SF+State+alumnus%2C+talks+to+the+audiences+during+The+College+of+Ethnic+Studies+46th+Anniversary+Celebration+at+Seven+Hills+Conference+Center+at+SF+State+Sunday%2C+Nov.+8.+%28Qing+Huang+%2F+Xpress%29+
Danny Glover, actor, activist and SF State alumnus, talks to the audiences during The College of Ethnic Studies’ 46th Anniversary Celebration at Seven Hills Conference Center at SF State Sunday, Nov. 8. (Qing Huang / Xpress)

Actor, activist and SF State alumnus Danny Glover spoke about community activism and his experiences as an actor Saturday at noon in Jack Adams Hall as part of the College of Ethnic Studies’ 46th Anniversary Celebration.

Jan Wahl (left), entertainment personality and move critic facilitates a question and answer session with Danny Glover, actor and SF State alumnus who was an active member of the Black Student Union when he attended SF State. Glover speaks during the College of Ethnic Studies' 46th Anniversary Celebration Saturday Nov. 7, 2015 in Jack Adams Hall in the Cesar Chavez Student Center. (Tyler Primas / Xpress)
Jan Wahl (left), entertainment personality and move critic facilitates a question and answer session with Danny Glover, actor and SF State alumnus who was an active member of the Black Student Union when he attended SF State. Glover speaks during the College of Ethnic Studies’ 46th Anniversary Celebration Saturday Nov. 7, 2015 in Jack Adams Hall in the Cesar Chavez Student Center. (Tyler Primas / Xpress)

Glover, who is best known for his leading roles in movies like the Lethal Weapon series, “The Color Purple” and “Predator,” stressed the importance of remembering to balance relaxation with responsibilities.

“The key to acting is listening and the key to listening is relaxing,” Glover said. “And the key to relaxing is breathing.”

During his time at SF State, Glover was an active member of the Black Student Union, which he joined in a five-month, student-led strike for the establishment of the nation’s first School of Ethnic Studies, according to the event website.

“Danny Glover is remarkable,” said Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Fund Douglas Hupke, who organized the event. “He has starred in some of the best movies, and he is really gifted in everything he does.”

Entertainment personality and movie critic Jan Wahl sat down with Glover to discuss his activism in the community and his time at SF State in a question and answer forum with the audience. Glover said community work is important, and said it was what brought him to SF State.

Students Veta Irby-Ware, left, and Erin Kelsaw, right, take a photo with Danny Glover during The College of Ethnic Studies' 46th Anniversary Celebration at Seven Hills Conference Center at SF State Sunday, Nov. 8. (Qing Huang / Xpress)
Students Veta Irby-Ware, left, and Erin Kelsaw, right, take a photo with Danny Glover during The College of Ethnic Studies’ 46th Anniversary Celebration at Seven Hills Conference Center at SF State Sunday, Nov. 8. (Qing Huang / Xpress)

“San Francisco State set the foundation for finding community work,” Glover said. “Working in Bayview Hunters Point and Mission was exciting work and fulfilling.”

A long-time proponent of affordable housing in San Francisco, Glover recently came out in support for Propositions F and Proposition I in the Nov. 3 election, which would have put limits on short-term rentals and halted housing construction in the Mission, according to the SF Chronicle.

SF State alumna Lana Wilson said she appreciated the event and hoped more alumni forums like Glover’s are planned in the future.

“It was nice to see people come back and learn the importance of giving back to the community,” Wilson said.

The College of Ethnic Studies 46 Anniversary Celebration continued Sunday with a benefactor reception and auction at 1 p.m. in the Seven Hills Conference Center.