Ethnic Studies students publicly call White and Wong

SF+State+students+who+refuse+to+give+their+names+or+organization+protest+the+cancellation+of+CSU+chancellor+White%27s+campaign+visit+Tuesday%2C+Apr.+5.+%28Kelsey+Lannin+%2F+Xpress%29+

SF State students who refuse to give their names or organization protest the cancellation of CSU chancellor White's campaign visit Tuesday, Apr. 5. (Kelsey Lannin / Xpress)

Flanked by “Where’s White?” posters, students gathered onstage in Malcolm X Plaza Tuesday to confront CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White, who cancelled his visit to SF State without explanation. White was to address the financial issues surrounding the College of Ethnic Studies.

“Today, Chancellor White was scheduled to visit our campus, but his visit and his intentions have been obscured,” said a student at the rally who wished to remain anonymous. “Therefore, we are calling President Wong and Chancellor White to ask them what does Ethnics Studies mean to them, and how are they going to protect it, and how are they going to protect our education.”

The group gathered on stage in front of a small but cheering crowd of about 15 students as they made calls to White and Wong over the loudspeaker.

“Let’s all give them a call,” said the speaker after attempts to contact White and Wong directly were unsuccessful. “I propose that we blitz and leave tons of messages demanding why they don’t care about our education.”

None of the students on the stage gave their name or the name of the organization they were with to Golden Gate Xpress.

SF State students who refuse to give their names or organization protest the cancellation of CSU chancellor White’s campaign visit Tuesday, Apr. 5. (Kelsey Lannin / Xpress)

Organizers looped the song “FDT (Fuck Donald Trump)” by YG and Nipsey Hussle over the loudspeaker from the stage, eliciting scorn from some students tabling nearby.

Peter Sobrino, vice president of Young Americans for Liberty, said he made a complaint about the music to the student activities and events coordinators.

“There’s time and effort that goes into getting these spaces, and I think it’s unfair that (the students on the stage) are disrupting not only the Young Republicans, because they have the right to free speech, but also ours, the fraternity over here, and other groups,” said Sobrino, who noted that the organizers had pointed the speakers toward the Young Republicans, who have voiced support for presidential candidate Donald Trump.

“It was successful, in that we raised a little bit of awareness and that we at least got a response from them to know that they currently don’t have a set date,” said O’Neal Stidum, 20, a criminal justice major who came to the event in support of the College of Ethnic Studies.

White’s office confirmed that White will be visiting SF State, but didn’t provide a reason for the cancellation or a new visitation date.