Women’s volleyball furious comeback falls short

SF State Gators’ freshman middle blocker Abby Griffith spikes the ball during their loss against Cal State Dominguez Hills at the Swamp on Friday, Sept. 30, 2016. The Gators fell to the Toros in the fifth set.

The SF State Gators went toe-to-toe against the Dominguez Hills Toros in a competitive five-set game but fell short in a comeback attempt.

The Gators fell to a disappointing 1-11 record and remain winless in their last eight games. Despite the loss, the Gators put together one of the best games they played all season.

The Gators were down two sets and on the verge of another sweep but showed an unwillingness to give up late in the game.

Outside hitter Haley Halpert said the Gators fought harder than they had all season.

“We had a lot of heart when we played today and we had a lot of fight in us,” Halpert said. “It takes a lot of heart and effort to battle back from losing two sets.”

From the opening of the match both teams were neck and neck and neither was able to take command of the game. Three of the five sets were decided by two points and there were several late ties in each of those sets.  

“I haven’t seen that kind of fight in us in a while,” Head Coach Matt Hoffman said. “I’m really proud of how they performed. We came a long way.”

Hoffman said he was most proud of the team’s improvement in serving and passing.

“17 aces in a five set match is amazing and we only got ace six times,” Hoffman said. “Our serve and pass is what kept us in the game.”

Halpert finished with a team and match-high 21 kills. Outside hitter Christine Johnson had a stellar all-around game with 15 kills, nine aces and two blocks. Setter Linda Aerne tallied 44 assists, three aces and 10 digs.

“I think them being so young, gaining all these experiences will help them grow and learn how to win,” Hoffman said.         

The Gators will seek their first conference win when they host California State University, Los Angeles at The Swamp on Oct. 1.