SF State student struck by car in front of Administration Building

San Francisco Police Department along with the San Francisco Fire Department assist the SF State student victim involving a collision with another SF State student vehicle on Holloway Avenue in front of the Administration building on February 22, 2017. (Alina Castillo/Xpress)

An SF State student was hit by a car while in a crosswalk on Holloway Avenue behind the Administration Building at approximately 1 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

The unidentified female was hit by an oncoming car headed westbound on Holloway. She was later transferred off campus by an ambulance.

The driver, an SF State psychology major who wished to remain unidentified, insisted that he was going the speed limit at the time of the collision.

According to witnesses at the scene, the student who was struck by the vehicle had her headphones in and was not looking up and that she seemed responsive even as the ambulance took her away.The driver said that by the time he realized there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk and was able to brake, it was too late.

“Get off your phone, and be aware of your surroundings,” the driver said. “That goes for drivers and pedestrians.”

The condition of the pedestrian was unknown at the time of publication.