Woman shoots three and takes her own life at San Bruno YouTube campus

Armed officers present after the shooting incident at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, Calif. (Photo by Garrick Wong)

The woman who shot and injured three people before taking her own life at the San Bruno YouTube campus on Tuesday visited a gun range hours before the attack, according to local officers.

Nasim Aghdam then brought her 9mm Smith & Wesson to the San Bruno YouTube campus where she shot the three victims. Her motive has been determined as frustration over company policies.

“We’re in the process of transitioning our work now from a tactical or active … situation to more of a static, investigative effort,” said San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini during a press conference. Barberini clarified that four victims were transported to the hospital, three for gunshot related injuries and one for a sprained ankle sustained while fleeing the scene.

Local police responded to an active shooter call at 12:48 p.m., two minutes after receiving the call, and began clearing the scene. Aghdam’s personal website has statements expressing her frustration with YouTube policies.

“There is no equal growth opportunity on YOUTUBE or any other video sharing site, your channel will grow if they want to!!!!!” Aghdam wrote. “Youtube filtered my channels to keep them from getting views!”

Her YouTube videos were taken down Tuesday night.

Officers found one gunshot victim at the front of the building and found the two others who fled to a business next door.

“We were told at one … I was shocked,” said Michael Cipolla a Healthy Living at Home employee. His office was located within a block of the YouTube campus.

A suspect was found in the courtyard of the 901 Cherry St. building with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The coroner’s investigation is ongoing.

The four victims were transported to the Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and reports indicate the gunshot victims are in varied conditions ranging from critical to fair, with the 36-year-old man in critical condition, the 32-year-old man in serious condition and the 27-year-old woman in fair condition. Two victims have been released and another was upgraded from critical to serious condition.

“As city manager, I think you’d expect me to say that I am extraordinarily proud of our first responders,” said San Bruno City Manager Connie Jackson.  

“This is something that can happen, that can face any community … it is obviously a concern. Today is tragic but it could’ve been much worse,” said San Bruno Mayor Rico Medina, commending the first responders and law enforcement.

“Today it feels like the entire community of YouTube, all of the employees, were victims of this crime,” said Chris Dale, a YouTube spokesperson. “Our hearts go out to all those who suffered.”

ATF officer repairs torn caution tape around the incident at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, Calif. (Photo by Garrick Wong)