Despite errors, SF State volleyball defeats Central Washington University at home

SFSU volleyball
Halimah Oswald spikes the ball against the CWU Wildcats in the team's 2011 home opener on Tuesday, Sept. 6th. The SF State gators swept Central Washington, clutching their fourth victory of the season. Photo by Henry Nguyen.

The SF State volleyball team followed up last weekend’s success with a win against Central Washington University Tuesday evening in the main gym.

Dressed in their home whites, the Gators faced off against the Wildcats in a non-conference match. SF State scored initially and held the lead for much of the first set, winning 25-18.

Junior Megan Johnson led the match with six kills while teammates Lauren Walsh and Halimah Oswald had five and four, respectively.

The second set was much closer than the first. The Gators won, 25-21, despite the team’s errors late in the set. The team committed eight errors in the second set after having only three in the first.

“Overall I thought we did a nice job,” said coach Michelle Patton. “When we did make a couple errors, we got composed and got back into our system.”

After the break following the second set, the team came back onto the court with renewed energy and scored the first two points in quick succession. At the second timeout, the Wildcats were down 15-8, but rallied back to within two points.

It was not enough, however, to overtake the Gators, who won the third and final set, 25-22.

“(It was) exciting because that’s just our goal, to come out strong, play strong, and that’s just what we did,” said Johnson.

Johnson finished the game with 10 kills but sees room for improvement.

“I missed a lot of serves, and when it comes down to it serving is more mental than anything,” Johnson said. “Sometimes you just have to play the game.”

Senior Robyn Hall also contributed to the team’s victory with 11 kills and a .364 hitting percentage.

“We always focus on finishing in three (sets). I think having our first match, at home, to finish in three and to come out with as much energy as we did was really good,” Hall said.

According to Hall, communication was key for their victory.

“It was mostly just making sure we all have high energy and making sure that we communicate what’s going ,” Hall said.

The Gators travel down to Southern California this weekend, meeting Cal State San Bernardino on Friday at 7 p.m. and UC San Diego on Sunday at 1 p.m.

SFSU volleyball
Megan Johnson serves the ball against the CWU Wildcats in the team's 2011 home opener on Tuesday, Sept. 6th. The SF State gators swept Central Washington, clutching their fourth victory of the season. Photo by Henry Nguyen.