The Voting Center located in front of the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium with San Francisco City Hall in the background lit up with red, white and blue lights in San Francisco on Nov. 3, 2020. (Dyanna Calvario / Golden Gate Xpress) (Dyanna Calvario)
The Voting Center located in front of the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium with San Francisco City Hall in the background lit up with red, white and blue lights in San Francisco on Nov. 3, 2020. (Dyanna Calvario / Golden Gate Xpress)

Dyanna Calvario

Highlights of Xpress election coverage around the Bay Area

November 6, 2020

The 2020 Election Day was like no other. From the increased amount of mail in ballots to the later announcement of how the winner is, the pandemic changed the course of this election in several ways. However, people around the Bay Area gather on the day of the elections to react to the results, even when the results were not delivered at the end of the night.

Here are the highlights of what has happened since the day of the elections:

SF State Campus

Campus

The SF State polling place saw a small turn out of students during Election Day this year. However, polls workers believe this is caused by the small in-campus student population and the increased number of people who mailed their ballots. Read more here.

The Mission District

Mission

Manny’s restaurant in the Mission District hold polling places during the morning while also hosting an event during the evening. Read more here.

Jackie Fielder

Jackie Fielder

Team members from Golden Gate Xpress and Xpress Magazine followed Jackie Fielder, California State Senate candidate from District 11, throughout the Election Day. From her campaign bus to her night event, our reporters followed her journey as she ended her campaign. Read more here.

City Hall

City Hall

A San Francisco resident folds up their ballot at the in-person Voting Center located in front of the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco on Nov. 3, 2020. (Dyanna Calvario / Golden Gate Xpress)
Poll workers wipe and sanitize tables used at the in-person Voting Center located in front of the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco on Nov. 3, 2020. (Dyanna Calvario / Golden Gate Xpress)

The Castro

Oakland

Vallejo

Community organizers of The Bay Area Freedom Project write down the names of those killed by Fatal 14 in chalk, outside Vallejo Police Department, in Solano County, Calif., on Nov. 3, 2020. VPD has arrested the organizers multiple times in the last two months and charged them with vandalism for the same. They continue to write these names every night and offer each victim a rose, despite the continued risk of being arrested. (Harika Maddala/ Golden Gate Xpress)
Members of The Bayarea Freedom Project observe five minutes of silence for the people killed by the Fatal 14, outside Vallejo Police Department, in Solano County, Calif., on Nov. 3, 2020. Fatal 14 are the 14 VPD officers involved in the fatal shootings of citizens. The latest of the shootings took place in the early hours of Jun. 3, when a Fatal 14 officer Jarrett Tonn shot Sean Monterrosa in his neck. (Harika Maddala/ Golden Gate Xpress)
About the Writers
Photo of Jess Magill
Jess Magill, Campus Editor

Magill was born in San Francisco but spent about half of his life living in France. He moved back to the Bay in 2015, and in his spare time he tends to...

Photo of Jian Yang
Jian Yang, Staff Reporter

Hey! My name is Jian Yang, I'm a 24 years old Journalism major, and I'm an international student from China. I'm currently serving as the News Reporter...

Photo of Sebastian Mino-Bucheli
Sebastian Mino-Bucheli, Multimedia Editor

Sebastian Miño-Bucheli is a photographer, videographer, and coffee enthusiast at the Golden Gate Xpress while majoring in Photojournalism and minoring...

Photo of Malakai Wade
Malakai Wade, Xpress Magazine Editor-in-Chief

Malakai is a senior journalism student at SFSU and the Editor-in-Chief of Xpress Magazine. She is in her last semester after finishing a minor in International...

Photo of Emily Curiel
Emily Curiel, Photographer

Emily lives life through a viewfinder. She has a hummingbird superstition and spends most of her down time playing the mobile app game called Two Dots,...

Photo of Joel Umanzor Jr.
Joel Umanzor Jr., City Editor

Joel Umanzor Jr. is studying Print and Online Journalism with a minor in Latino/a studies and is in his Senior year. Umanzor Jr. is also a part-time reporter...

Photo of Jun Ueda
Jun Ueda, Photo Editor

Jun Ueda is the Photo Editor for Golden Gate Xpress this Spring. He's super excited to tackle a bunch of stories with the staff. It's his last semester...

Photo of Harika Maddala
Harika Maddala, Photo Editor

Harika Maddala is a senior year student at San Francisco State University, pursuing a bachelor’s
in Photojournalism and a minor in International Relations....

Photo of Paul Kelly
Paul Kelly, Contributing Staff

Paul Christopher Kelly is a young Bay Area native of Irish and Nicaraguan descent. He has a familial affinity towards Irish and Latin American writers,...