An American flag burns outside the home of Walnut Creek’s Mayor, in Walnut Creek, Calif. on June 17, 2020. (Harika Maddala / Golden Gate Xpress) (Harika Maddala)
An American flag burns outside the home of Walnut Creek’s Mayor, in Walnut Creek, Calif. on June 17, 2020. (Harika Maddala / Golden Gate Xpress)

Harika Maddala

2020 in Visuals

A visual recap of the work from Golden Gate Xpress newspaper staff of Summer and Fall 2020.

December 14, 2020

Richard Casper, a San Francisco native, yells during a Black Lives Matter protest that went from Sloat Boulevard to Lincoln Way via the Great Highway June 2, 2020in San Francisco, Calif. The protest was in response to the death of George Floyd, a detained and handcuffed black man in police custody in Minneapolis. (James Wyatt / Golden Gate Xpress) (James Wyatt)
Students wait in their cars for the commencement of the graduation car parade at Cupertino High School, in Cupertino, Calif., on June 4, 2020. (Harika Maddala / Golden Gate Xpress) (Harika Maddala)
Organizers of a bbq promoting positive community relationships laugh while promoting the event through signs during a Juneteenth celebration organized in San Francisco, on June 19, 2020. (James Wyatt / Golden Gate Xpress) (James Wyatt)
Protestors march down 18th Street during the Pride is a Riot in San Francisco, on June 17, 2020 (Daniel Da Silveira / Golden Gate Xpress) (Daniel Da Silveira)
A protester pays respects for the Black people killed recently, at the altar setup outside the City Hall building, during the 4th of July protest, in San Francisco, Calif., July 4, 2020. (Harika Maddala/ Golden Gate Xpress) (Harika Maddala)
Shawanda Scott bursts into tears during the press conference at San Quentin State Prison, in Marin County, Calif., on July 9, 2020. Her son is an inmate at the prison and has recently tested positive for COVID-19. (Harika Maddala/ Golden Gate Xpress) (Harika Maddala)
Sandy Sanchez cries on the shoulder of hr husband Jesse Nunez as she begins to describe the events where her son, Anthony Nunez, was killed by the San Jose Police Department in San Jose, Calif., on July 4, 2020. (Daniel Da Silveira / Golden Gate Xpress) (Daniel Da Silveira)
People setup signs with Sean Monterrosa’s pictures and messages like “Justice for Sean” and “Tucan” on the fence of the school he attended-Junipero Serra Elementary School, during Tucan Day, a public event held to honor Sean Monterrosa, near Holly Park, in San Francisco, Calif., on Jun. 12, 2020. (Harika Maddala) (Harika Maddala)
Hannah Khorassani reads about COVID-19 symptoms on her laptop, at her residence in Daly City, Calif., on July 19, 2020. Khorassani’s mother, who lives in Los Angeles, recently tested positive for COVID-19. (Harika Maddala / Golden Gate Xpress)
Hwaa Kuahan, 10, begs his mother, Martha Rodriguez, every day to join in protesting the border wall. Rodriguez is one of the protest leaders and a teacher of cultural practices at Kumeyaay community college. According to Rodriguez, she allows him to join when there will not be dynamite involved in the construction process and she deems the day’s activities as safe. His name translates to ‘True Warrior.’(Camille Cohen / Golden Gate Xpress) (Camille Cohen)
Louis Michael came to see the mural for itself. Louis is a first-generation college graduate, only compounding the significance of the profound statement he made the evening of May 29th. Louis has taken the lead for organizations focused on removing police from Vallejo schools and reallocating city budgets to better serve the communities he is fighting for. (Aaron James Bistrin / Special to Golden Gate Xpress)
Cars line up to purchase tickets at the Van Buren Drive-in while “Palm Springs” plays on one of the many projection screens. (Camille Cohen / Golden Gate Xpress) (Camille Cohen)
A student shows their COVID-19 screening badge, which is taken each day prior to coming to campus on their phone. The badge notifies the front desk at the student center that they are allowed to enter the building in San Francisco, on Aug. 24, 2020. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress) (Emily Curiel)
A person walks on an empty SF State campus in August of 2020. (Dyanna Calvario / Golden Gate Xpress) (Dyanna Calvario)
A Bayview-Hunters Point resident who identifies herself as ‘Little Bit’ bursts into tears as she talks about the impact of environmental pollution on her family during the press conference. (Golden Gate Xpress/ Bayview-Hunters Point, San Francisco, CA, Sept. 1, 2020) (Harika Maddala)
Sam Kaleh, owner of Lucca Food Deli & Wine Shop, waits behind the register for customers in San Francisco on Aug. 30, 2020. (Sean Reyes / Golden Gate Xpress) (Sean Reyes)
Maricruz Lopez raises her fist looking at the cops, who lined up on the sidewalk. Lopez is in a white-colored shirt with red-colored stains on the back, resembling the gunshots on the back of Jacob Blake, whom the police shot earlier in August. (Harika Maddala / Golden Gate Xpress) (Harika Maddala)
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died at her home in Washington at the age of 87, after battling pancreatic cancer, on Sept. 18, 2020. (Alyssa Brown / Golden Gate Xpress) (Alyssa brown)

Protesters gathered around the Mission Police Station in San Francisco after a grand jury verdict decided to not charge any Louisville police officer in the killing of Breonna Taylor, on Sep. 23, 2020. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress)
A orange haze covers Ocean Beach in San Francisco due to ash and residue from the California wildfires. (Saylor Nedelman / Golden Gate Xpress) (Saylor Nedelman)
The San Francisco State University Worker Defense Coalition and supporters gather in front of the SF State campus to protest against the recent layoff notice of 131 staff members on Sep. 12, 2020. The layoff announcement is the largest of any Cal State University. (Alex Drew / Golden Gate Xpress) (Alex Drew)
A billboard near Vallejo Police Department with a sketch of Sean Monterrosa and a message “Justice for Sean Monterrosa” revealed on Sept. 27, 2020, in Solano County, Calif. The sisters of the unarmed man shot and killed by Vallejo Police Officer Jared Tonn, were arrested protesting outside Governor Newsom’s house on Oct. 2., which marked the four-month anniversary of the killing. (Harika Maddala / Golden Gate Xpress)
Firefighters spray water on a house located on Vaughn Street in East Santa Rosa, Calif.early on Sept. 28, 2020. (James Wyatt / Golden Gate Xpress)
Shepley Schroth-Cary, the Gold Ridge Fire Chief, observes a fire located near houses on Piedmont Court in Santa Rosa, Calif., on Sept. 28. (James Wyatt / Golden Gate Xpress) (James Wyatt)
People play in the water at Alameda Beach, Calif. on Oct. 13 2020. The October weather was warmer than usual due to La Niña conditions. (Leila Figueroa / Golden Gate Express) (Leila Figueroa)
Flu vaccines administered by SF State student nurses at Manzanita Square for SF State students only with proof of ID from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in San Francisco, on Oct. 15, 2020. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress)
A member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a refugee and the first female plane hijacker was scheduled to give remarks at an event hosted by SF State professors, in Oct. 2020. Zoom sided with protesters at its doorstep by rescinding its services for the event, citing “the speaker’s reported affiliation or membership in a U.S. designated foreign terrorist organization.” (Alyssa Brown / Golden Gate Xpress) (Alyssa Brown)
Behind door number three at SF State greenhouse is a dwarf corpse flower (Konjac) which bloomed for a week, on Oct. 28, 2020. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress) (Emily Curiel)
A couple watches the movie with a cup of wine at Fort Mason Center in San Francisco, Oct. 3, 2020. (Katherine Burgos / Golden Gate Xpress)
An Aztec dancer looks above the trees on 24th street, during a walk towards 24th and Folsom st. in San Francisco on Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020. (Sebastian Mino-Bucheli / Golden Gate Xpress) (Sebastian Mino-Bucheli)
Lin-Yu Diaz stands next to the altar she set up for Día de Los Muertos, near 4th St. in San Rafael, Calif., on Friday, Oct. 30, 2020. (Ricardo Olivares / Golden Gate Xpress)
Retail outlets in downtown San Francisco start boarding up windows with plywood prior to Election Day, on Oct. 30, 2020. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress)
Santa Clara county has reached an all-time high of 1 million registered voters who are ready to vote in the November elections. The county celebrated this number by decorating the registrar of voters with balloons and numbers in glitter. (Harika Maddala/ Xpress Media)
Visitors of 7th West in Oakland, Calif., watch the election night coverage in an outdoor seating area with multiple large projectors on Nov. 3, 2020. (Jun Ueda/Golden Gate Xpress) (Jun Ueda)
A biker takes a picture of a woman in an inflatable Donald Trump Baby costume during Women’s March on Market St. in San Francisco, Calif. on Oct. 17, 2020. Many people wore clothing with historical and pop culture references such as the red dress from The Handmaid’s Tale and the women’s clothing from the Victorian era. (Harika Maddala/ Golden Gate Xpress)
Shoppers browse wide music selections at Amoeba Music, a local record store in Berkeley CA, after they reopen their doors on Oct. 16, since the COVID-10 closures in March. (Leila Figueroa / Golden Gate Xpress) (Leila Figueroa)
A man participating in the ‘March for Democracy’ takes a look at an outdoor shared space setup on 16th St. in San Francisco, Calif. on Oct. 24, 2020. (Harika Maddala/ Golden Gate Xpress)
SkyStar Ferris wheel opened by the Music Concourse Drive in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco on Oct. 21, 2020.(Sebastian Mino-Bucheli / Golden Gate Xpress)
Workers begin to take down the Coca-Cola billboard, which has been there since 1937, near Interstate 80 and Highway 101 in downtown San Francisco on Oct. 26, 2020. San Francisco has issued a work permit to tear down the iconic structure. (Ricardo Olivares / Golden Gate Xpress) (Ricardo Olivares)
Social distancing floor decals line the outside of stores inside Westfield San Francisco Centre to promote social distancing. San Francisco has reached the yellow stage of the color reopening plan and indoor places will be allowed to be at 50% capacity starting Nov.3 2020. (Dyanna Calvario / Golden Gate Xpress) (Dyanna Calvario)
A small card with a message tied around Marigold flowers to Monica Garcia sits on a table by an ofrenda at the Outer Sunset Famers Market for Dia De Los Muertos “Day of The Dead,” in San Francisco, on Nov. 1, 2020. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress)
Bay Area residents take to the streets in Castro District, San Francisco, to celebrate Joe Biden and Kamala Harris’ election victory, on Nov. 7, 2020. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress)
18-year-old Lexxi Duncan and her friends, counter-protest the Trump Celebration event at the State Capitol Building in Sacramento, Calif. on election day, on Nov.3, 2020. (Leila Figueroa/ Golden Gate Xpress)

Students perform a blood smear review during a Hematology lab, CLS 731, at SF State in San Francisco, on Nov. 5, 2020. (Alex Drew / Golden Gate Xpress)
A client of GLIDE Memorial Church eats his Thanksgiving meal while sitting on the sidewalk in San Francisco, on Nov. 26, 2020. (James Wyatt / Golden Gate Xpress)
Author, professor and the host of KQED’s ‘Forum’ Michael Krasny takes a walk on a trail overlooking the bay water at Blackie’s Pasture in Tiburon on Dec. 6, 2020. Krasny announced his retirement in November and his last day at KQED would be Feb. 15, 2021. (Emily Curiel / Golden Gate Xpress)
Art sculptures “Syzygy” by artist Taylor Dean Harrison displayed at Juan Bautista Circle through an event called Nightlights in Park Merced in San Francisco, Dec. 4, 2020. While the art sculptures are lit up there are performances to entertain those who visit the art. (Katherine Burgos / Golden Gate Xpress)
 (Katherine Burgos)
An inflatable snowman and a Christmas tree with lights set up outside a residence in Vallejo, Calif., on Dec. 1, 2020. Vallejo residents have set up their Christmas decorations early this year amidst stay-at-home orders enforced throughout the holiday season across the state. (Leila Figueroa/ Golden Gate Xpress)