Members of the SF State women’s volleyball team practice spiking the ball on Sept. 12. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress) (Miguel Francesco Carrion)
Members of the SF State women’s volleyball team practice spiking the ball on Sept. 12. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress)

Miguel Francesco Carrion

SF State’s fall athletics take action in hopes of a more routine season

SF State’s basketball, cross country, soccer, women’s volleyball and men’s wrestling are preparing for their season.

September 13, 2022

Fall sports return to campus this semester with lots of positivity surrounding the eight competing teams. 

Amid sweeping changes this semester like lifting the mask mandate, SF State’s competing teams are hoping for pre-pandemic normalcy as they look to get through the semester free of COVID-19 cases.

SF State’s fall sports include basketball, cross country, soccer, women’s volleyball and men’s wrestling. 

“Last season was on the stricter end, comparing it to some of the other schools in the conference,” said Director of Athletic Communications Kendrick Mooney. “But I think this season, we have more people back on campus, so it’s a more normal campus life.”

The volleyball team was very successful last season, posting a 22-5 record, which tied the best regular season record in school history. Unfortunately, they fell in the conference semifinals to a 23-3 Cal Poly Pomona team. 

With 11 of the 15 girls being underclassmen, this semester will field a younger volleyball team, eager to carry the momentum forward. Off to a 4-4 start this season, the Gators hope to continue to gain valuable experience as the season progresses. 

“This year’s team has a lot more new pieces to it,” said head coach Matt Hoffman. “There’s eight girls who were on the team that we can piggyback off last year’s success. We’re almost recreating how we want to play and how we want the team to be in our culture.”

The men’s soccer team was competitive last season, finishing with a 6-9-3 record. Although, they had a lot of close losses toward the end of the season that could have made the difference in a playoff appearance. 

Due to COVID-19 restrictions impacting the last two seasons, the soccer teams weren’t able to do spring training. This year, the men’s team, which has started 1-1-1 this season, was finally able to have a spring training. 

“With a spring season, the chemistry on the field, as well as off the field is important for these guys to get to know each other and become united,” said head coach Pedro Osorio. “The system of play and learning our way of play is the other half that is just as important.”

The women’s soccer team finished last season 8-8-3 but is off to a 0-3 start to this young season. 

The women’s basketball team finished last season 10-15 but has an optimistic outlook on competing for a playoff spot this year.

This season, their key is the team’s experience, according to head coach Natasha Smith. Last season, six of the 12 players on the team were freshmen. 

Smith emphasized five values for the team this season using the acronym GREAT – gratitude, resilience, effort, attitude and togetherness. 

“Over the spring, they showed how hungry they are,” Smith said. “They’re already great basketball players. It’s on us as coaches to make sure we properly prepare them and make sure they instill those values every day.” 

The basketball season will begin Nov. 11 for the women’s team and Nov. 12 for the men’s team. Cross country gets started for both the men’s and women’s teams on Sept. 17 and the wrestling team will get started on Nov. 6.