Maritza Serna (R) sits next to Joseph Escobedo (C) at the LatinX Film Club table during a meet-and-greet for SF State clubs and organizations at the Quad, on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. (Benjamin Fanjoy / Golden Gate Xpress) (Ben Fanjoy)
Maritza Serna (R) sits next to Joseph Escobedo (C) at the LatinX Film Club table during a meet-and-greet for SF State clubs and organizations at the Quad, on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. (Benjamin Fanjoy / Golden Gate Xpress)

Ben Fanjoy

A look at Spring 2023 at SF State

Scenes from around campus show signs of new starts and fresh faces, but some things are business as usual.

January 31, 2023

As the first day of the Spring semester brings new faces and old, student activity fills the halls, libraries and parking spots that make up San Francisco State University.

The health services building remained empty while the parking lot and library remained full. Students returned to their favorite restaurants while others looked forward to getting back in the gym.

The team at Golden Gate Xpress spent the day going to different parts of the university and reporting on what  they saw. While classrooms seemed to brim with a contrast of dread and excitement, the hustle of student organizations, public transportation and academic pursuits buzzed on.

Student Organizations

Ben Fanjoy

Ayanna King holds a Zeta Phi Beta sorority book during a meet-and-greet for San Francisco State clubs and organizations at the Quad in San Francisco Calif., on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. (Benjamin Fanjoy / Golden Gate Express)

Student Organizations

The first week of a new semester can be stressful. Whether it is your first time on campus or 10th time, it can be helpful to know what resources and groups are available to help you through your experience at SF State.

The first table to likely greet you on campus this week may be the Gator Welcome Committee. The committee has multiple service desks throughout the campus that offer various resources to all students such as reusable water bottles, snacks, maps and directions to classrooms.

“(The committee) has not always been a thing on campus,” said Sophie Clavier, Interim Dean of College of Liberal & Creative Arts. “This effort was created in response to the pandemic and the new wave of students who have been a part of the SF State community but may be their first time on campus.” 

“We realized post-pandemic that it was important to have a face to face interaction with students,” Clavier said. “We don’t have a lot of freshmen in the Spring, so we want the students to know who we are and that we care for them outside of the campus.”

The welcoming committee has mainly been powered by the office of the president, but is still credited to the campus as it is “a community effort.”

Multiple student-led organizations were seen gathered throughout the lawn area outside the Cesar Chavez Student Center. Returning organizations such as The Latinx Film Club, Nu Mu Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated and some new clubs like Hoods to Woods and Turning Point USA were out tabling Monday to share their goals and spread knowledge on their organizations to SF State students.

The Latinx Film Club is currently the only active Latinx student organization at SF State this semester. Aside from their main focus of film, their goal is to hold more cultural events such as Día de los Muertos that was held last semester and Banda night to highlight the culture and community. The Latinx Film Club is currently working on three scripts ready for production that are aimed towards increasing Latinx representation in film and are in the works to create a film festival. 

“The Latinx community is not represented in film and our goal is to make these films unite our community while making them (community members) feel supported,” said Hanna Maaloul, Vice President of the Latinx Film Club. 

One of the sororities tabling, Nu Mu Chapter of  Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated is one of the historical nine Greek Black letter organizations, also known as “The Divine Nine.” 

The sorority is part of National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), a community conscious action oriented organization working their core principles, “scholarships, service, sisterly love and finer womanhood.” Some events held by Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated are aimed towards supporting black community members. In the month of February, the sorority will be holding events for Black Men’s Appreciation, Black Women’s Appreciation and Black Elders Appreciation.

“We’re working towards bettering our community here on campus for Black students and for everyone in general,” said Ausha Bolds, Phylacter for the Nu Mu Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated. “Because if we are working with our community, then we can expect success for our community.” 

A majority of their work this semester will be continuing the 40 year long collaboration with March of Dime, a non-profit organization aimed towards providing support for “moms, babies and families.” Their goal is to donate $1,000 by the end of the year.  

Students throughout SF State rely on one another to create research projects for the future. Charles Forehand Holmes and Genievive del Mundo are students working on a six month project, “Hoods to Woods, Reclaiming Nature,” which primarily researches transitional age 18-26 of the black, indigenous and people of color community members and the effects of the cortisol stress hormone and telomere links. 

“Through this research project, our goal is to work directly with the BIPOC community,” Holmes said. “Because we feel like people in that community have to take an extra step especially when it comes to managing stress.”

“We’re starting it this semester, so we will take college students out in nature once a month and have them connect with nature to relieve some of the stress hormones,” Holmes said. “While we take people on these walks, once the walk is over we will confirm with the participants if it is okay to collect biospecimen samples such as hair and saliva to test telomere levels which show the true age of your cells.”

Be sure to check out some of the student organizations tabling the first week of classes outside the Cesar Chavez Student Center.

Library

David Jones

DIvy Ramani, Junior, talks with a student at the front desk of J. Paul Leonard Library at SF State in San Francisco CA., on Jan. 30, 2023. (David Jones / Golden Gate Xpress)

Library

With the return to classes many students look for resources to prepare for the new year, a quiet place to study or take their online classes. 

Several students enter the J. Paul Leonard Library with maps, books and questions on the first day of the spring semester. 

“It’s like every ten minutes students walk in and ask me for the basic amenities, like where the printers are or directions to buildings,” said Divy Famani, a front desk worker for the main library. 

“It is very busy since this might be the first semester for many students,” Famani said. “There have been many international students coming in with doubts in their brains, sometimes not regarding the library but more about overall the campus.”  

The library provides services like printing, private study rooms and laptop rentals for the semester. 

“In the morning it is super busy from eight to twelve and then it will go down from one to three in the afternoon,” Famani said. “After three they all just come till the library closes at eleven.”  

The library consists of six floors that get quieter by each floor. Each floor offers different services like research commons, research assistance, printing computers, instruction and meeting rooms. 

On the third floor, Makeda Amare, a political science major, attended her online course on Race in American Politics. 

“I come to the library pretty often. It’s pretty quiet and I get my work done here for sure,” Amare said. “Depending on the time it’s not too bad to find a seat. I’m here for about two or three hours depending on how I feel.” 

Amare has plans to try to come everyday as this is where she feels good and productive.

“There’s a lot more people on campus now that everything is opening up,” Amare said. “Everyone is and will be utilizing these spaces and services more.” 

When leaving the library doors, to the left the Friends of the Library could be found selling donated books. 

“So far, it’s been really good and we just opened 13 minutes ago,” said Barbara Loomis, director of Friends of the Library. “It’s just so exciting to see people again and the campus looks a lot better this semester than it did last semester.”

The Friends of the Library is open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m to 5 p.m. and Fridays 11 a.m to 3 p.m. This week, Loomis will be here every day so she can meet all the new coming and returning staff of volunteers.  

“There’s just so many people here now that there are more classes being held face to face,” Loomis said. “That’s really bringing students to campus which is great because that’s the whole part of going to college to meet other people and this is the place to do it.” 

Health Center

Leilani Xicotencatl

The waiting room in the campus health services building sat relatively empty after a fallen tree blocked the path leading to the entrance. Services including in the building include menstruation products, condoms, and general health products. (Leilani Xicotencatl/Golden Gate Xpress)

Health Center

San Francisco State’s student health services were quiet on the first day back from winter break and experienced less foot traffic due to the main sidewalk being closed off.

The health center still requires students to have a mask on when entering the building and to continue standing behind the safety rope. The staff is still following COVID guidelines by asking students if they are experiencing any symptoms before being put in a waiting room.

The health center provides medical care such as checkups, x-rays, vaccinations and lab tests. They also have services for sexual health with STI testing, gynecologic care and birth control, as well as mental health care where they can connect students to counselors. 

If students need to transfer or receive medication, they can have it sent to the health center’s pharamacy.

Condoms and menstrual kits are also provided for students to pick up in the conference room.

Students who did set foot in the health center had appointments or were applying for jobs. Walk-ins are currently unavailable.

Julio Perez, a sophomore at SF State, said this was his first time visiting the health center. He said he was coming in hopes to see if they had an application to work there.

“I think they do a good job of navigating where to go, probably not right now since it [sidewalk] was closed, I didn’t know where to go in through,” Perez said.

Thania Liu is a junior at SF State and said this was also her first time at the health center.

She had an appointment for a vaccination shot and said the experience was good even though the shot hurt. 

The health center is open from 8:45a.m. to 4:45p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. On Wednesday it is open from 10a.m. to 4:45p.m.

Mashouf Wellness Center

Gina Castro

Basketballs are displayed in the basketball court at the Mashouf Wellness Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. (Gina Castro / Golden Gate Express)

Mashouf Wellness Center

The Mashouf Wellness Center usually gets busy in waves throughout the day. However, the first day of the spring semester is one of the most mellow days the gym of the semester. 

Second year student Kylie Chen began rock climbing as a hobby two months ago. The first day of school is befitting for many firsts to be experienced. For Chen, two were going to the Mashouf Wellness Center and climbing the rock wall. 

“It’s a good place to get some movement and exercise,” Chen said. “It’s more fun than just running and it makes time pass by.”

For someone who recently started rock climbing, Chen believes it’s super convenient to have a gym on campus that has a climbing wall. She plans on going to the Mashouf Wellness Center more often this semester to explore what the gym has to offer, and especially to work on her climbing technique to be able to ascend to any level. 

“I honestly was surprised when I came here and [saw] the rock climbing wall,” Chen said. “You just don’t really expect a school campus gym to have this even though it’s a common sport.”

Fourth year nursing major Brandon Romarate was in the zone with his headphones on, playing racquetball and working up a sweat in the process.  

Romarate, who has been playing for about six months, was introduced to the sport through his friends last semester. He loves the racquetball room because it isolates him. 

“I just have my own space in this small room. I don’t feel the pressure outside. You know, when you’re in the gym, there is a bunch of pressure. A lot of people are working out at the same time as you, waiting for you to use the machines,” Romarate said. 

The isolated design of the racquetball court has helped him to focus on his technique and himself, technique he learned to apply out of the court as well. This semester, he also wants to attend one of the Zumba classes offered at the Mashouf Wellness Center.

Mathematics major, Monyka Rico believes going to the gym is a good stress reliever from school. She has been going to the gym on-and-off for about two years. Since moving to campus, the convenience of a close-by gym and no need for membership payments Rico sees herself using it a lot more often.

“I would like to make it a habit to go five times a week so that I can improve my stamina,” Rico said. 

Rico usually takes a couple of weights and goes to a corner to work out, but this year, she wants to change that. “I feel like if I wanna keep coming more, then I definitely need to try some of the weight machines.”

Rico expected the campus gym to be just a weight room and a mirror room, but the different workout areas in the gym such as the basketball court, the ping pong table and the rock climbing wall took her by surprise. 

Starting today The Mashouf Wellness Center operation hours are Monday to Thursday 6:30 a.m. to 12 a.m. Friday 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday & Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Food

Miguel Francesco Carrion

Jomari Fernandez orders lunch from the Halal Shop at SF State’s Cesar Chavez Student Center on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. (Miguel Francesco Carrion / Golden Gate Xpress)

Food

Students stand in line during lunch hour at the many restaurant options on campus, the academic school year continues and businesses resume operation. 

Computer science transfer student, Eiffel Valentino is on campus for the first time exploring his food options, choosing between the Halal Shop and Quickly. It is his first semester on campus and looks forward to his future dining options. 

“These are really good choices,” said Valentino. “Especially Quickly, I have known Quickly for a while and I know them pretty well, I also went inside and they have a lot of food options, I gotta say.”

Computer science major and Halal Shop employee, Jeel Kankotiya works through the lunch rush and mentions how many students stopped by for a bite after a month of closure. 

“It was pretty busy around 12,” Kankotiya said. “The food here, people on campus love it, so it is the first day everybody is just trying to get their hands on food.”  

Omar Mizirawi, owner of Cafe 101 and Natural Sensations in the Cesar Chavez Student Center mentions his struggle with foot traffic to his shops. 

“There are not as many students as there were pre-covid, but it is definitely coming back in small percentages,” said Mizirawi. 

Mizairawi has been working on his social media presence, as well as introducing partnered  food delivery services, but still sees a decline in his businesses. 

Iris Gilsdorf, an apparel design and merchandising major, sits in front of Natural Sensations enjoying her bagel. It is her third semester on campus.  

Gilsdorf typically enjoys eating her food by the student health center in the grass where the sunlight hits. She believes the locations and the variety of the food could be dispersed around campus. 

“I think [the selection] is pretty good, I think they could be more spread out throughout campus,” Gilsdorf said. “I like this kind of eating, you can choose and get stuff from different places”.  

Athletics

Chris Myers

Assata Polk, a part of the Track and Field team, talks about balancing school and being a student athlete at San Francisco State University in San Francisco CA., Monday, January 30, 2023. (Chris Myers/ Golden Gate Express)

Athletics

While most students returned to campus for the first time in a month and a half, today was another routine day for the student-athletes who stayed to train during winter break. 

In the SF State Gymnasium, several people received treatment, basketball teams practiced and others did work on their laptops.

“Us athletes have been coming here over the break and it gets kind of lonely, so it is good to see everybody walking around and happy to be here,” said senior track and field athlete Assata Polk. “The sun is also out so that is cool.”

Some sports teams were in session during the long winter break, so the transition has not had a big impact on them.

“I really have not been on break because I am in season currently for indoor track and field,” said senior track and field athlete Dezirae Smith. “It is my last season as an undergrad and as a student here on campus. I am graduating this semester, so I am looking forward to the end of this semester.”

Student-athletes are prepared to get back in the classroom while keeping up with their athletic careers.

“It was a nice break but I’m ready to get back into the motions of school and get back to the schedule,” said sophomore wrestler Kweli Hernandez. “When we get off of break it’s wrestling and then school, but during the break it’s only wrestling and just chilling out for the rest of the day.”

The balance between being an athlete and student can be difficult to manage for many people, but with the help of the professors, the transition becomes much easier.

“It is a little tough especially in season when you have traveling and classes and everything, but the professors here accommodate to our schedules so that is really nice,” Polk said.

The atmosphere was very bright in the gymnasium with several smiling faces in the vicinity. 

“I got used to it, I feel like in the beginning it was tough trying to manage a school life, social life and athletic life but now it is pretty easy,” said Smith. 

Student Services

The return to campus for the spring semester featured a flurry of activity in the Student Services Building on Monday afternoon. 

Students wandered in throughout the day to receive assistance with financial aid, academics, scholarships and access to tutoring. Inside,dozens of students stood in line at different windows. Others picked up their student identification cards for the new semester. 

“It’s the hub if you really need to know anything about campus or just the school in general,” said Hayden Sutty, a member of the service support team and SF State cinema major. “We have the knowledge and resources to help with any issues that each individual may be facing.”

Sutty works in the building with his roommate, Cooper Perry, a broadcast and electronic communication arts major. The duo was in charge of a working table stationed directly in front of the main entrance, helping students with any quick questions they may have.

According to Perry, the most common questions they’ve received have been about finding the locations of classrooms. To minimize confusion, they printed out copies of the campus map.

“A lot of people don’t really have a clue where they’re heading and it’s our job to redirect them where they’re supposed to be,” Perry said. “I started working here in 2020 –– during the pandemic when it wasn’t decided yet if we’d be back on campus. We just want to advise students that we are simply here to assist.”

The Student Services Building is also home to the Office of Financial Aid. 

Students checked out Fin Aid February, a promotion for students to receive help on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid and any California Dream Act Applications. 

According to the office, representatives from FAFSA and SF State will be available on campus from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout February outside of the Student Services Building. Nine information sessions will take place from Feb. 9 through Feb. 24.

The Student Services Building is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays. 

Parking

Composite image showing cars exiting SF State’s Lot 20 parking garage over the course of five minutes on January 31, 2023. (Joshua Carter/Golden Gate Xpress)

Parking

Finding parking at SF State is notoriously difficult on an average day. On the first day of the semester, it’s a nightmare.

What started as a seemingly slow scene in the Lot 20 parking garage at 8:30 a.m. seemed a cacophony of honks, squeals and slamming doors an hour later. 

As students lined up outside of payment kiosks, cars swerved in and out of the garage as their drivers found no respite in the form of a spot.

Even the streets along Holloway found themselves filled to the brim with students and faculty trying to get to school.

“I had to park all the way over by the high school this morning,” said Andrew Hoffmann, a first year speech therapy major. “I don’t think I’ve seen it this crazy.”

To park in any lot at the university, students need to purchase a parking pass. Daily passes can be purchased from any of the kiosks available in Lot 20 or online. 

Semester passes are limited to a first-come first-served basis. Students have options of a $320 Tuesday and Thursday pass, a $480 Monday, Wednesday and Friday pass, or a $500 daily pass. Each pass includes a discount for students living on campus.

Since passes are limited, long-distance commuters will want to obtain one for themselves at the beginning of the semester.

Una mirada a la primavera de 2023 en la Universidad Estatal de San Francisco

Ben Fanjoy

Las escenas de todo el campus muestran signos de nuevos comienzos y caras nuevas, pero algunas cosas funcionan como de costumbre.

A medida que el primer día del semestre de primavera trae caras nuevas y viejas, la actividad estudiantil llena los pasillos, bibliotecas y los estacionamientos que conforman la Universidad Estatal de San Francisco.  

El edificio de servicios de salud permaneció vacío, mientras que el estacionamiento y la biblioteca permanecieron llenos. Los estudiantes regresaron a sus restaurantes favoritos, mientras que otros esperaban volver al gimnasio.  

El equipo de Golden Gate Xpress pasó el día recorriendo diferentes partes de la universidad reportando lo que vieron. Mientras que las aulas parecían rebosar de un contraste de temor y emoción, el ajetreo de las organizaciones estudiantiles, el transporte público y las actividades académicas zumbaban.  

Organizaciones estudiantiles  

Andrea Sto. Domingo y D’Angelo Hernández  

La primera semana de un nuevo semestre puede ser estresante. Ya sea su primera vez en el campus o la 10ª vez, puede ser útil saber qué recursos y grupos están disponibles para facilitar su experiencia a través de la Universidad Estatal de San Francisco.  

La primera mesa que probablemente lo saludará en el campus esta semana puede ser el Comité de Bienvenida Gator. El comité desplegó múltiples estaciones de servicio a través  todo el campus que ofrecen diversos recursos a todos los estudiantes, como botellas de agua, bocadillos, mapas e indicaciones para llegar a las aulas.  

“(El comité) no siempre ha sido una cosa en el campus”, dijo Sophie Clavier, decana interina de la Facultad de Artes Liberales y Creativas. “Este esfuerzo se creó en respuesta a la pandemia y la nueva ola de estudiantes que han sido parte de la comunidad universitaria Estatal de San Francisco pero que pueden estar por primera vez en campus”.    

“Nos dimos cuenta después de la pandemia de que era importante interactuar cara a cara con los estudiantes”, dijo Clavier. “No tenemos muchos estudiantes de primer año en la primavera, así que queremos que los estudiantes sepan quiénes somos y que  nos importan también fuera del campus”.  

El comité de bienvenida ha sido impulsado principalmente por la oficina del Presidente, pero aún está acreditada al campus, ya que es “un esfuerzo comunitario”.  

Se vieron múltiples organizaciones dirigidas por estudiantes conglomeradas  sobre el área de césped fuera del Centro de Estudiantes César Chávez. Organizaciones que regresan como The Latinx Film Club, Nu Mu Chapter de Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated y algunos clubes nuevos como Hoods to Woods y Turning Point USA estuvieron presentes este lunes para compartir sus objetivos y difundir el conocimiento sobre dichas organizaciones a los estudiantes de la universidad.  

El Latinx Film Club es actualmente la única organización estudiantil Latinx activa en la Universidad este semestre. A Pesar de su enfoque principal en cine, su objetivo es realizar más eventos culturales como el Día de los Muertos, el cual se celebró el semestre pasado, y la noche de Banda para resaltar la cultura y la comunidad. El Latinx Film Club actualmente trabaja en tres guiones, los cuales se encuentran listos para producción y que tienen como objetivo aumentar la representación latina en el cine, también están en proceso para crear un festival de cine.   

“La comunidad latina no está representada en el cine y nuestro objetivo es hacer que estas películas unan a nuestra comunidad mientras hacen que ellos (los miembros de la comunidad) se sientan apoyados”, dijo Hanna Maaloul, vicepresidenta del Latinx Film Club.   

Una de las hermandades interactuando con estudiantes, Nu Mu Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated, es parte de las nueve organizaciones históricas de letras negras griegas, también conocidas como “The Divine Nine”.   

La hermandad es parte del Consejo Nacional Panhelénico (NPHC), una organización que promueve la acción consciente en comunidad , y  trabaja en principios fundamentales, “becas, servicio, amor fraternal y feminidad más fina”. 

Algunos eventos organizados por Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated tienen como objetivo apoyar a los miembros de la comunidad Negra. En el mes de febrero, la hermandad llevará a cabo eventos dirigidos hacia  Black Men’s Appreciation, Black Women’s Appreciation y Black Elders Appreciation.  

“Estamos trabajando para mejorar nuestra comunidad aquí en el campus para los estudiantes negros y para todos en general”, dijo Ausha Bolds, filacta del Capítulo Nu Mu de Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated. ” Ya que si trabajamos con nuestra comunidad, entonces podemos esperar éxito para nuestra comunidad”.   

La mayor parte de su trabajo este semestre es una continuación la colaboración de 40 años con March of Dime, una organización sin fines de lucro destinada a brindar apoyo a “mamás, bebés y familias”. Su objetivo es donar $1,000 para fin de año.    

Estudiantes a través de la universidad se necesitan unos a otros para crear proyectos de investigación para el futuro. Charles Forehand Holmes y Genievive del Mundo son estudiantes que trabajan en un proyecto de seis meses, “Hoods to Woods, Reclaiming Nature”, que investiga principalmente la  transición entre los  18 a 26 años de  miembros de la comunidad negra, indígena y de color, y los efectos de la hormona del estrés cortisol y los enlaces de los telómeros.   

“A través de este proyecto de investigación, nuestro objetivo es trabajar directamente con la comunidad BIPOC”, dijo Holmes. “Porque sentimos que las personas en esa comunidad tienen que dar un paso adicional, especialmente cuando se trata de manejar el estrés”.  

“Vamos a  comenzar este semestre, así que vamos a llevar a los estudiantes universitarios a la naturaleza una vez al mes y facilitaremos una  conexión con esta para aliviar algunas de las hormonas del estrés”, dijo Holmes. “Mientras llevamos a las personas a estas caminatas, una vez estas finalicen , confirmaremos con los participantes si se pueden recolectar muestras biológicas como cabello y saliva para probar los niveles de telómeros que muestran la verdadera edad de sus células”.  

Asegúrese de indagar acerca de  las organizaciones estudiantiles visibles la primera semana de clases fuera del Centro de Estudiantes César Chávez.  

Biblioteca  

Adriana Hernández, reportera  

Con el regreso a clases muchos estudiantes buscan recursos para prepararse para el nuevo año, un lugar tranquilo para estudiar o tomar sus clases en línea.   

Muchos son los estudiantes que ingresan a la Biblioteca J. Paul Leonard con mapas, libros y preguntas el primer día del semestre de primavera.   

“Es como si cada diez minutos los estudiantes entraran y me preguntaran por las comodidades básicas, como dónde están las impresoras o cómo llegar a los edificios”, dijo Divy Famani, una trabajadora de recepción de la biblioteca principal.   

“Está muy ocupado porque  este puede ser el primer semestre para muchos estudiantes”, dijo Famani. “Ha habido muchos estudiantes internacionales que han llegado con dudas en sus cerebros, a veces no con respecto a la biblioteca,  pero más sobre el campus en general”.    

La biblioteca ofrece servicios como impresión, salas de estudio privadas y alquiler de computadoras portátiles para el semestre.   

“Por la mañana está muy ocupado  entre las ocho y doce y luego baja entre las una y tres de la tarde”, dijo Famani. “Después de las tres, todos vienen hasta que la biblioteca cierra a las once”.    

La biblioteca consta de seis pisos, cada uno se vuelve más silencioso . Cada piso ofrece diferentes servicios como investigación común, asistencia para la investigación, impresión de computadoras, instrucción y salas de reuniones.   

En el tercer piso, Makeda Amare, estudiante de ciencias políticas, asistió a su curso en línea,  raza en la política estadounidense.   

“Vengo a la biblioteca con bastante frecuencia. Es  muy tranquilo y seguro que hago mi trabajo aquí”, dijo Amare. “Dependiendo de la hora, no  es muy difícil encontrar un asiento. Estoy aquí s entre dos o tres horas, dependiendo de cómo me sienta”.   

Amare tiene planes de tratar de venir todos los días, ya que aquí es donde se siente bien y productiva.  

“Hay mucha más gente en el campus ahora que todo se está abriendo”, dijo Amare. “Todos están, y estarán utilizando más estos espacios y servicios”.   

Al salir de las puertas de la biblioteca, a la izquierda se se encontrabanlos Amigos de la Biblioteca vendiendo libros donados.   

“Hasta ahora, ha sido realmente bueno y acabamos de abrir hace 13 minutos”, dijo Barbara Loomis, directora de “Friends of the Library”. “Es muy emocionante ver a la gente de nuevo y el campus se ve mucho mejor este semestre que el semestre pasado”.  

Los Amigos de la Biblioteca están abiertos de lunes a jueves de 11 a.m. a 5 p.m. y los viernes de 11 a.m. a 3 p.m. Esta semana, Loomis estará aquí todos los días para poder conocer a todo el nuevo personal de voluntarios y aquellos que regresan.    

“Hay mucha gente ahora que hay más clases que se llevan a cabo cara a cara”, dijo Loomis. “Eso realmente trae más estudiantes al campus, lo cual es genial porque esa es parte de ir a la universidad para conocer a otras personas y este es el lugar para hacerlo”.   

Centro de Salud  

Samantha Morales, reportera  

Los servicios de salud estudiantil de la universidad de San Francisco estuvieron tranquilos el primer día después de las vacaciones de invierno, estos experimentaron menos tráfico peatonal debido a que la acera principal  se encontraba cerrada.  

El centro de salud todavía no solo requiere que los estudiantes tengan una máscara puesta al ingresar al edificio,  pero también que continúen de pie detrás de la cuerda de seguridad. El personal sigue las pautas de COVID-19 preguntando a los estudiantes si  han experimentado algún síntoma antes de ser puestos en una sala de espera.  

El centro de salud brinda atención médica como chequeos, radiografías, vacunas y pruebas de laboratorio. También tienen servicios para la salud sexual como pruebas de ITS, atención ginecológica y control de la natalidad, así como atención de salud mental donde pueden conectar a los estudiantes con consejeros.   

Si los estudiantes necesitan alguna transferencia o recibir medicamentos, pueden enviarlos a la farmacia del centro de salud.  

También se proporcionan condones y kits menstruales que los estudiantes  recojer en la sala de conferencias.  

Los estudiantes que pusieron un pie en el centro de salud tenían citas o estaban solicitando empleos. Las personas sin cita previa no están siendo atendidas actualmente.  

Julio Pérez, estudiante de segundo año en la universidad, dijo que esta era la primera vez que visitaba el centro de salud. Este dijo que venía con la esperanza de  recoger una  aplicación para trabajar allí.  

“Creo que hacen un buen trabajo navegando por dónde ir, probablemente no en este momento, ya que [la acera] estaba cerrada, no sabía por dónde entrar”, dijo Pérez.  

Thania Liu,estudiante de tercer año de la universidad dijo que esta era también su primera vez en el centro de salud.  

Ella tenía una cita para una vacuna y dijo que la experiencia fue buena a pesar de que la inyección dolió.   

El centro de salud está abierto desde las 8:45 a.m. hasta las 4:45 p.m. los lunes, martes, jueves y viernes. Los miércoles está abierto de 10 a.m. a 4:45 p.m.  

Centro de Bienestar Mashouf  

Destiny Walker, reportera  

Mashouf Wellness Center generalmente se llena en oleadas durante todo el día. Sin embargo, el primer día del semestre de primavera es uno de los días más lentos del gimnasio durante el semestre.   

La estudiante de segundo año Kylie Chen comenzó a escalar rocas como pasatiempo hace dos meses. El primer día de clases es apropiado para muchas actividades que se experimentan por primera vez. Para Chen, dos iban al Mashouf Wellness Center y escalaban la pared de roca.   

“Es un buen lugar para hacer algo de movimiento y ejercicio”, dijo Chen. “Es más divertido que simplemente correr y hace pasar el tiempo”.  

Para alguien que recientemente comenzó a escalar rocas, Chen cree que es muy conveniente tener un gimnasio en el campus que tenga un muro para escalar. Ella planea visitar Mashouf Wellness Center más a menudo este semestre para explorar lo que el gimnasio tiene para ofrecer, y especialmente para trabajar en su técnica de escala para poder ascender a cualquier nivel.   

“Honestamente, me sorprendió cuando vine aquí y [vi] el muro para escalar”, dijo Chen. “Realmente no esperas que un gimnasio del campus escolar tenga esto a pesar de que es un deporte común”.  

El estudiante de cuarto año de enfermería, Brandon Romarate, estaba en la zona con los auriculares puestos, jugando racquetball  mientras sudaba en el proceso.    

Romarate, que ha  jugado durante unos seis meses, fue introducido al deporte a través de sus amigos el semestre pasado. Le encanta la sala de racquetball porque le aísla.   

“Solo tengo mi propio espacio en esta pequeña habitación. No siento la presión afuera. Ya sabes, cuando estás en el gimnasio, hay un montón de presión. Mucha gente está entrenando al mismo tiempo que tú, esperando que uses las máquinas”, dijo Romarate.   

El diseño aislado de la cancha de racquetball le ha ayudado a centrarse en su técnica y en sí mismo, técnica que aprendió a aplicar fuera de la cancha también. Este semestre, también quiere asistir a una de las clases de Zumba que se ofrecen en el Mashouf Wellness Center.  

La estudiante de matemáticas, Monyka Rico cree que ir al gimnasio e calma el estrés de la escuela. Esta   frecuenta el gimnasio de vez en cuando  desde hace unos dos años. Desde que se mudó al campus, la conveniencia de un gimnasio cercano y sin necesidad de pagos de membresía, hace que Rico se ve a sí misma usándolo mucho más a menudo.  

“Me gustaría acostumbrarme a ir cinco veces a la semana para poder mejorar mi resistencia”, dijo Rico.   

Rico generalmente toma un par de pesas y se va a una esquina a hacer ejercicio, pero este año, ella quiere cambiar esto. “Siento que, si quiero seguir viniendo más, entonces definitivamente necesito probar algunas de las máquinas de pesas”.  

Rico imaginaba que el gimnasio del campus fuera solo una sala de pesas y una sala de espejos, pero las diferentes áreas de entrenamiento de este, como la cancha de baloncesto, la mesa de ping pong y el muro de escalar la tomaron por sorpresa.   

A partir de hoy, el horario de operación del Mashouf Wellness Center es de lunes a jueves de 6:30 a.m. a 12 a.m. Viernes de 6:30 a.m. a 10 p.m. y sábados y domingos: 9 a.m. a 5 p.m.  

Alimentos   

Daniela Pérez, reportera  

Los estudiantes hacen fila durante la hora del almuerzo en los muchos restaurantes en campus, el año escolar académico continúa y las empresas reanudan sus operaciones.   

El estudiante de transferencia de informática, Eiffel Valentino, está en campus por primera vez explorando sus opciones de comida, eligiendo entre los restaurantes Halal y Quickly. Es su primer semestre en  campus y espera con ansias explorar sus futuras opciones gastronómicas.   

“Estas son realmente buenas opciones”, dijo Valentino. “Especialmente Quickly, conozco a Quickly desde hace  tiempo y los conozco bastante bien, también entré y tienen muchas opciones de comida, tengo que decir”.  

Jeel Kankotiya, estudiante de informática y empleado de Halal Shop, trabaja durante la hora de almuerzo y recuenta cuántos estudiantes se detuvieron para comer algo después de un mes de cierre.   

“Estaba bastante ocupado alrededor de las 12”, dijo Kankotiya. “La comida aquí, a la gente en el campus le encanta, así que en el primer día todos intentan tener esta comida en sus manos”.    

Omar Mizirawi, propietario de Café 101 y Natural Sensations en el Centro Estudiantil César Chávez menciona su lucha con el tráfico peatonal a sus tiendas.   

“No hay tantos estudiantes como antes de covid, pero definitivamente están regresando en pequeños porcentajes”, dijo Mizirawi.   

Mizirawi ha estado trabajando en su presencia en las redes sociales, así como en la introducción de servicios  de entrega de alimentos, sin embargo aún ve una disminución en sus negocios.   

Iris Gilsdorf, una especialista en diseño de moda y comercialización, se sienta frente a Natural Sensations mientras disfruta de un bagel. Es su tercer semestre en el campus.    

Gilsdorf normalmente disfruta comiendo en la hierba del centro de salud estudiantil , ahí donde llega la luz del sol. Ella cree que las ubicaciones y la variedad de la comida podrían dispersarse  a través del campus.   

“Creo que [la selección] es bastante buena, creo que podrían estar más dispersos por todo el campus”, dijo Gilsdorf. “Me gusta este tipo de comida, puedes elegir y obtener cosas de diferentes lugares”.    

Atletismo  

Arman Archouniani, reportero  

A Pesar que la mayoría de los estudiantes regresaron al campus por primera vez en un mes y medio, hoy fue otro día de rutina para los estudiantes-atletas que se quedaron a entrenar durante las vacaciones de invierno.   

En el Gimnasio  de la Universidad , varias personas recibieron tratamiento, los equipos de baloncesto practicaron y otros trabajaron en sus computadoras portátiles.  

“Nosotros, los atletas, hemos estado viniendo aquí durante el descanso y se vuelve un poco solitario, así que es bueno ver a todo mundo caminando y felices de estar aquí”, dijo la atleta senior de pista y campo Assata Polk. “El sol también está fuera, así que eso es bueno”.  

Algunos equipos deportivos estuvieron en sesión durante las largas vacaciones de invierno, por lo que la transición no ha tenido un gran impacto en ellos.  

“Realmente no he estado de descanso porque estoy en la temporada actualmente para atletismo bajo techo”, dijo la atleta senior de pista y campo Dezirae Smith. “Es mi última temporada como estudiante de pregrado y como estudiante aquí en el campus. Me voy a graduar este semestre, así que espero con ansias el final de este semestre”.  

Los estudiantes-atletas están preparados para volver a las aulas mientras se mantienen al día con sus carreras atléticas.  

“Fue un buen descanso, pero estoy listo para volver al ritmo de la escuela y volver al horario”, dijo el luchador de segundo año Kweli Hernández. “Cuando salimos de las vacaciones, es lucha y luego escuela, pero durante el descanso sólo es lucha  y  relajarse por el resto del día”.  

El equilibrio entre  atleta y estudiante puede ser difícil de manejar para muchas personas, pero con la ayuda de los profesores, la transición se vuelve mucho más fácil.  

“Es un poco difícil, especialmente en temporada cuando tienes viajes, clases y todo lo demás, pero los profesores aquí se adaptan a nuestros horarios, así que eso es realmente agradable”, dijo Polk.

El ambiente era muy luminoso en el gimnasio  y varias son las caras sonrientes en las cercanías.   

“Me acostumbré, siento que al principio fue difícil tratar de manejar la vida escolar, la vida social y la vida atlética, pero ahora es bastante fácil”, dijo Smith.   

Servicios Estudiantiles  

Steven Rissotto, reportero  

El regreso al campus en  el semestre de primavera presentó una ráfaga de actividad en el Edificio de Servicios Estudiantiles el lunes por la tarde.   

Los estudiantes deambularon durante todo el día con el propósito de  recibir asistencia con ayuda financiera, académica, becas y acceso a tutoría. En el interior, docenas de estudiantes hacían fila en diferentes ventanas. Otros recogieron sus tarjetas de identificación de estudiantes para el nuevo semestre.   

“Es el centro si realmente necesitas saber algo sobre el campus o la escuela en general”, dijo Hayden Sutty, miembro del equipo de soporte de servicio y especialista en cine de la universidad. “Tenemos el conocimiento y los recursos para ayudar con cualquier problema que cada individuo pueda estar enfrentando”.  

Sutty trabaja en el edificio con su compañero de cuarto, Cooper Perry, un estudiante de artes de transmisión y comunicación electrónica. El dúo estaba a cargo de una mesa de trabajo estacionada directamente frente a la entrada principal, ayudando a los estudiantes con cualquier pregunta rápida que pudieran tener.  

Según Perry, las preguntas más comunes que han recibido han sido sobre la ubicación de las aulas. Para minimizar la confusión, imprimieron copias del mapa del campus.  

“Mucha gente realmente no tiene idea de hacia dónde se dirigen y es nuestro trabajo redirigirlos hacia donde se supone que deben estar”, dijo Perry. “Comencé a trabajar aquí en 2020, durante la pandemia, cuando aún no se había decidido si volvíamos al campus. Solo queremos informar a los estudiantes que simplemente estamos aquí para ayudar”.  

El Edificio de Servicios Estudiantiles también alberga la Oficina de Ayuda Financiera.   

Los estudiantes revisaron Fin Aid February, una promoción para que los estudiantes reciban ayuda en su solicitud Gratuita de Ayuda Federal para Estudiantes  además decualquier Solicitud de Dream Act de California.   

Según la oficina, los representantes de FAFSA y de la universidad estarán disponibles en el campus de 10 a.m. a 2 p.m. durante todo febrero fuera del Edificio de Servicios Estudiantiles. Nueve sesiones informativas se llevarán a cabo del 9 al 24 de febrero.  

El Edificio de Servicios Estudiantiles está abierto de 9 a.m. a 5 p.m. de lunes a viernes.   

Estacionamiento   

Joshua Carter, fotógrafo 

Encontrar estacionamiento en universidad estatal es notoriamente difícil en un día promedio. El primer día del semestre, es una pesadilla.  

Lo que comenzó como una escena aparentemente lenta en el estacionamiento del Lote 20 a las 8:30 a.m. parecía una cacofonía de bocinas, chillidos y portazos una hora después.   

Mientras los estudiantes hacían fila fuera de los quioscos de pago, los autos entraban y salían del garaje mientras sus conductores no encontraban respiro en forma de lugar.  

Incluso las calles a lo largo de Holloway se encontraron llenas hasta el borde con estudiantes y profesores tratando de llegar a la escuela.  

“Tuve que estacionarme en la escuela secundaria esta mañana”, dijo Andrew Hoffmann, estudiante de primer año de terapia del habla. “No creo haberlo visto tan loco”.  

Para estacionar en cualquier lote de la universidad, los estudiantes deben comprar un pase de estacionamiento. Los pases diarios se pueden comprar en cualquiera de los quioscos disponibles en el Lote 20 o en línea.   

Los pases semestrales están limitados a los pases por orden de llegada. Los estudiantes tienen opciones de un pase de martes y jueves de $ 320, un pase de lunes, miércoles y viernes de $ 480, o un pase diario de $ 500. Cada pase incluye un descuento para los estudiantes que viven en el campus.  

Dado que los pases son limitados, los viajeros de larga distancia querrán obtener uno para ellos al comienzo del semestre.