Gators split doubleheader against Monterey

SF State pitcher Ashley Jackson winds up a pitch during the Gators' first game of a double header against Cal State Monterey Bay at home on Friday, March 11. Jackson struck out 10 batters in a Gators' 3-1 victory. Eric Soracco / staff photographer

After snapping their seven-game losing streak last weekend against Chico State, the SF State women’s softball team split their doubleheader home series defeating the Cal State Monterey Bay Otters 3-1 in game one, but lost 5-1 in the final match.

The lady Gators are 6-17 overall and 4-14 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

In the first game, senior right-handed pitcher Ashley Jackson won her fourth game of the season and pitched a gem striking out 10 batters while giving up four hits and one earned run in seven innings. Entering Friday’s game, Jackson led the pitching staff with 53 strikeouts and a 2.04 earned run average.

In game two, the lady Gators’ defense struggled. They finished with four errors and allowed the Otters to take advantage. Cal State Monterey Bay scored four runs in the fourth inning after scoring one in the third off a Gator error.

Senior pitcher Kendra Wood drove in SF State’s only run in the bottom of the sixth inning by crushing a ball deep over the fence to right-center field for a homerun – her first of the season.

The Gators will wrap up their four-game homestand with another doubleheader match-up on March 12 starting at 12 p.m.