Gator women's volleyball sweeps Cal State Stanislaus 3-0

In true Gator fashion, the SF State women’s volleyball team brought a balanced effort to knock off visiting Cal State Stanislaus in a three-set sweep Saturday night for the second straight victory this week.

After battling in their last few games, the Gators were finally able to sweep their visiting opponent. With the season passing the halfway mark, every win is crucial for the Gators as their hopes of making regionals stay alive.

Sophomore outside hitter Kelly Ostello is excited for the sweep and hopes the team can stay physically tough.

“We did everything that we said we were going to do tonight,” Ostello said. “Especially tonight since we beat them in three. We haven’t done that since San Diego. So, it kinda just boosts our confidence for the next week.”

Ostello hit 10 kills tonight, contributing to her season total of 275. She led the Gators in kills, doubling what she hit last season.

The Gators’ offense played strong tonight as they dominated Stanislaus, slowing the Warriors down in the first two sets, which held them to less than 20 points. The Warriors struggled to find their hitters as they only recorded eight kills in the second.

When it came time to close out the game, the Gators loosened up a bit by letting the Warriors rally and stay in contention. Stanislaus managed to tie the game multiple times, even taking the lead in the final moments, but the Gators’ defense bounced back.

With a couple last minute errors by the Warriors, the Gators were able to keep their sweep alive.

Senior opposite hitter Megan Johnson led the Gators with 12 kills and a .571 attack percentage. Freshman Meagan Wright contributed with 11 kills, making her the third player to reach double digit kills for the night.

The Gators hit .226 as a team with 45 kills, and five players contributed 11 aces with senior Iris Tolenada hitting three of her own.

Senior outside hitter Andrea Fett led the Warriors with 11 kills. Cal State Stanislaus finished with a .192 hitting percentage, 31 kills and three aces.

The Gators wrapped up this week’s play with two victories, improving their record 11-4 in conference.

“We served really tough tonight,” head coach Michelle Patton said. “We got aced twice to 11 aces, so that’s a huge benefit. Helps swing momentum our way.”

With only two home games left, the Gators will be taking their action on the road for the rest of the season.

“You have to go in with a certain mentality that it’s just a game and you got to play better than that team that night, no matter where it is and no matter what gym it is,” Patton said

Still tied for third with Sonoma State, the Gators will take on the Seawolves Oct. 31 at the Wolves’ Den. The game will determine who will take sole possession of third place in the CCAA.

The Gators then will return for the final home stand of the season as they take on Cal State Dominguez Hills Nov. 2 and Cal State LA Nov. 3.