SF State students learn Krav Maga for self-defense

[HTML1]

[set_id=72157637471681164]

Last Thursday the Women’s Center, an Associated Students Inc. program, and I-Team, a student-led group that works to create and promote Israel awareness on SF State’s campus, combined efforts to a self-defense course for students.

The Krav Maga self-defense class  took place on SF State’s main lawn in front of the Cesar Chavez Student Center. Krav Maga is a style of self defense that combines many styles of martial arts, including boxing, Judo, Jiu-jitsu and grappling.

Krav Maga was developed by Imrich Lichtenfeld to help Jewish youth defend themselves against Nazi gangs in the 1940’s, and is used by the Israeli Defense Forces.

“The Women’s Center tries to offer a self-defense course every semester. This year we got the chance to partner with I-Team to offer Krav Maga,” said Brooke Glasky director of the Women’s Center.

Oscar Hernandez (left) practices Krav Maga moves with Micky Mejia (right) during a Women's Center sponsered event where self defense was taught to participants in the Quad at SF State on Thursday, Nov. 7, 2013. Photo by Virginia Tieman / Xpress
Oscar Hernandez (left) practices Krav Maga moves with Micky Mejia (right) during a Women’s Center sponsered event where self defense was taught to participants in the Quad at SF State on Thursday, Nov. 7, 2013. Photo by Virginia Tieman / Xpress