Baseball opening day doubleheader ends in split, team excited for season

A split of their opening day doubleheader has SF State’s baseball team excited for what the season has in store.

The Gators hosted Central Washington University to open their season this past Saturday winning the first game 4-1 before falling 5-3 in their second.

Preston Tarter pitched a complete five innings for SF State, only allowing one earned run. The offense followed the strong pitching, as the Gators were able to put four runs on the scoreboard with no answer from Central Washington.

“The first game definitely showed promise,” said head coach Mike Cummins. “Especially for being off for quite awhile.”

The two teams were back at it about an hour later, as they played another game right after the first.

The Gators, mentally and physically exhausted from the first game, made minor mental errors. Central Washington was able to produce runs early and held on to beat SF State.

“We are excited to be back and playing out there,” said junior catcher Mark Lindsay. “We just lost the game to little mental stuff and we were physically drained.”

Another double-header against Central Washington was scheduled for the next day, but due to weather conditions, both games were postponed until Feb. 17.

Miguel Flores, 2013 All-CCAA selection, will have to be replaced in the lineup after he graduated last season, but the team is confident in their abilities.

“The team chemistry we have is crazy good,” said junior closing pitcher, Cory Davis.  “We are like a family out there.”

The team will look to their team chemistry to help them get through a tough season. They all want to reach a high level of competition with their expectation for the season to reach the playoffs.

The Gators finished 10th in the CCAA conference last season, when they ended the year with a 13-27 record within the conference. After a season like that, the baseball team is not looking back at the past. They push forward.

Back for his fourth season as head coach, Cummins has the same view.

“I think it is going to be a challenge,” Cummins said.  “But if we work hard enough, we can make it to the playoffs.”

The talent is there, as three players, Nolan Sheridan, Grady Espinosa and Mark Lindsay, were named to the Preseason All-West Region Team. This is the second time that Lindsay has been named to the preseason team.

The official CCAA season will begin Feb. 21 against Cal State Stanislaus, on the Warriors turf.

“This is going to be a good year,” Davis said. “I feel it.”