Letter from the editor: [X]press changes its priorities

[X]press Readers,

I am pleased to welcome you to the first issue of the Golden Gate [X]press for the spring 2011 semester. My name is Kelsey Avers and I will be the editor-in-chief of this publication for this semester.

Over the break, we at [X]press have been working hard to make numerous changes to this publication in order to provide our readers with the same high-quality content, but in a more efficient manner that reflects the ever-changing times of technology.

In the past, we have been known as a weekly publication in both print and online. Our goal this semester is for [X]press to become a successful daily news source. This will be made possible through the upcoming launch of our new website, which will offer those of you who obtain your news online to do so on a cleaner and more organized platform. Our fresh, daily news site, goldengatexpress.org, will present stories, photos and multimedia in the most accessible way.

As a result of this new site, our commitment to providing our readers with updated content and breaking news will increase.

It is my hope that this new website, and our commitments to being your primary source for University and city news, will allow [X]press to be a more reliable news source.

However, our hard work to become an online daily newspaper will in no way diminish the quality of the weekly published newspaper. While you will still find our print edition throughout campus every Wednesday morning, it will be different.

[X]press online will play a larger role in hard news and as such, the print edition will provide more in-depth and nuanced pieces that aim to explain in addition to telling.

I am optimistic that this newly-implemented process will present readers with a greater variety of stories to read every day of the week and encourage you to keep coming back to us for updates.

[X]press is a student-run publication and, in turn, the responsibility of our staff is to be more than just students in class. Instead, we strive to be journalists in the most professional manner.

The Golden Gate [X]press seeks the student voice to provide readers with ethical and informational content as promptly as possible.

I hope through the changes we are making that we continue to hear from you about the content we publish and in turn increase our valued readership as we resume our promise of publishing independent and accurate information to our readers.

I encourage [X]press readers, whether they be current or former students or members of the Bay Area community, to get to know us this semester.

We always welcome letters to the editor, comments and any other feedback you have for us.

Sincerely,

Kelsey Avers
Editor-in-chief