Softball team loses to Chico, despite strong pitching

With the bases loaded and only one out in the fourth, the Gators were poised to turn a one-run deficit into a comfortable lead. A few pitches later, that chance turned into a double play instead.

Despite strong pitching, SF State was unable to take advantage offensively as the team lost both games to Chico State, 2-0 and 2-1, March 21 at home.

“We came out with a lot more fire in game two,” said head coach Cristina Byrne. “We left 16 people on bases today in these two games and that’s the tale when you lose 2-0 and 2-1.”

In the second game, the Gators loaded the bases twice but were only able to score once on a sac fly by senior catcher Kylie Grabowski.

“Any time you have bases loaded, you have to clutch up and score,” said Grabowski. “But we just didn’t do that.”

Freshman pitcher Megan Clark went all seven innings in the second game and allowed eight hits and two runs while collecting six strikeouts. Clark is now 3-7 for the season.

“We left a lot of runners on base, especially on second and third,” Clark said. “I think it was just timely hitting; we were putting the ball in play but we just didn’t come up with that clutch hit.”

In the first game of the doubleheader, sophomore pitcher Emily Gibson also went all seven innings and finished with four hits and allowed two runs to go with two strikeouts.

With the pair of losses the Gators are now 9-20 for the season with a 5-13 record in the conference.