Volleyball team wins game against Cal Poly Pomona Broncos

Jessica Nicerio of the San Francisco State Gators digs the ball back into play during a match against the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos. The Gators won the match 3-2 Friday, Sept. 26, 2014.

After falling behind 2-1, the SF State Volleyball team picked up a thrilling five set match over the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos last Friday at the Swamp.

Both teams exchanged blows throughout the first set, with each team staying within striking distance of each other until the Gators gained a bit of momentum, resulting in a 26-24 win.

“In the first set it was back and forth and I think both teams were a little bit nervous and trying to find their groove,” said Head Coach Jill Muhe. “We managed to find a little bit of rhythm towards the end of the game and we were able to come out with a win in game one.”

Jessica Nicerio of the San Francisco State Gators digs the ball back into play during a match against the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos. The Gators won the match 3-2 Friday, Sept. 26, 2014. Martin Bustamante / Xpress.

The Broncos answered back in sets two and three with almost no opposition winning each match respectively, 25-21 and 25-17.

For the second Friday in a row, the Gators found themselves in a hole and playing from behind to try and complete the comeback.

“She wanted us to come together as a team and relax, and go back to basics,” said Bria Morgan, who had a career high in kills with 18. “She said go back to to what we know, worry about our side of the court and not so much what the other team is doing.”

Muhe’s speech worked and propelled the team to win sets four and five in exciting fashion. The team played together and did not allow the Broncos to regain any momentum.

“The difference between the first three sets is we kind of let them get on runs, and we always had to fight back,” senior Jazmine William’s said. “We only gave them one point or two points, and that really helped us.”

Bria Morgan of the San Francisco State Gators prepares to spike back the ball during a match against the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos. The Gators won the match 3-2 Friday, Sept. 26, 2014. Martin Bustamante / Xpress.

This was the Gators second quality win in a four game home stand. They are now tied with the third best record in the CCAA division. Williams said that this game will push them to play for the division title.

“I think this is going to be our turning point,” William’s said. “We showed last weekend that we can play with the top and we just need to find a groove. I think we’re finally going to come together after this game and find a groove, we know so.”