Fans let down after Giants lose Game 2 of the World Series to Kansas City Royals

What started out as a slugfest between Major League Baseball’s best teams, turned into a lopsided blowout after the Kansas City Royals defeated the San Francisco Giants 7-2 at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, MO.

Game 2 of the World Series was only moments away as San Francisco Giants fans slowly filled The Pub and The Depot. They all hoped for another Giant beat down to give a 2-0 series lead over their American League counterparts.

Although the stakes are at their highest in this final week of MLB baseball, one fan made it clear he was not worried about the upcoming game.

“I’m feeling great. I’m confident the Giants will win,” said Jacob Hamilton. “I’m predicting Jake Peavy will only give up one run, and I’m predicting the Giants are gonna win (today) 6-1.”

Hamilton’s prediction got off to a great start, after Giants leadoff man Gregor Blanco ripped a solo shot over the right field wall in the first at bat of the game.

The Pub’s T.V. audience erupted into applause as Blanco circled the bases, but the high energy was quickly erased after Kansas City’s Billy Butler drove in a run in response to the Giants at the bottom of the first.

The scoring didn’t stop for the Royals, who kept the pressure going in the second inning after Alcides Escobar knocked a double into right field, scoring Omar Infante to give the Royals the first lead of the series.

“Well, I was feeling pretty good until now,” said Africana studies professor Amar Casey, who had front row seats to the big screen at The Depot. “Kansas City has their backs against the wall, so this is a must-win game for them.”

Pablo Sandoval, known by fans for his big moments in the World Series, came through in the fourth after doubling into center field over the head of Kansas City’s Lorenzo Cain. Brandon Belt brought the Panda home with a double of his own, which caused the rowdy Giants fans between The Pub and The Depot to begin a “Let’s go Giants!”chant.

The back-and-forth slugfest of a game turned into a war of attrition, filled with solid pitching and good defense by both teams. However, the Royals finally broke through Peavy by getting two base runners on in the bottom of the sixth.

Giants manager brought in reliever Jean Machi with no outs, but Machi gave up a crucial base hit to Butler to give the Royals a 3-2 lead, which drawing groans and face palms from the SF State crowd.

“I don’t think they should have brought in Machi there, he hasn’t pitched in a week,” said SF State student Nick Seyer. “It’s only the bottom of the sixth, so hopefully we can get something going by the ninth.”

Bochy burned through two more pitchers in the woeful inning, and a wild pitch from Hunter Strickland set up for a two-run double from Salvador Perez.

And it only got worse for San Francisco when Strickland gave up his fifth home run of the postseason to Omar Infante, which blew the Royals’ lead to 7-2, provoking boos and profanity from the crowd.

Although the Giants were well behind at the top of the seventh, the somber crowd perked up a little bit after fan favorite Tim Lincecum began warming up in the bullpen for the first time in the series.

Lincecum pitched his way out if the inning, but an injury ended his night early.

The Giants never regained their momentum, as a speedy Kansas City outfield continue to rob base hits. Brandon Crawford managed to sneak a base hit in at the top of the ninth, but it was for naught after Blanco struck out to end the night.

“I’m pissed off, but that’s OK,” said SF State student Shalimar Gaza. “We still have Game 3, so I think we will be all right.”

Relief man Kelvin Herrera picked up the win on the mound for Kansas City, and the loss went to Peavy for the Giants. Game 3 will take place at 5:07 PST Friday at AT&T Park.