Offense comes alive for men’s baseball in win over Cal State Los Angeles

SF State Gator Cory Davis (28) pitches during the ninth inning during the game against the Cal State L.A. Golden Eagles at Maloney Field on Friday, Feb. 27. (Melissa Minton / Xpress)

The SF State baseball team kicked off its long string of division play with a Friday afternoon 9-5 win over the visiting Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles.

The Gators were led by senior Mark Lindsay’s three hit day and starting pitcher Nolan Sheridan’s strong pitching performance.

SF State was able to knock out the Golden Eagle’s starting pitcher Brandon Quintero, who is one of the best pitchers in the league after only two innings of work.

“Their starter is probably an all league pitcher and we knocked him out in the third inning,” said head coach Mike Cummins. “I thought we were really ready for him and we talked about going after him all week.”

The Golden Eagles started the scoring for the game with three runs in the second inning off SF State’s starting pitcher Sheridan. Cal State L.A. was able to score off a hit and an error to accumulate those three runs.

SF State Gator Cory Davis (28) pitches during the ninth inning during the game against the Cal State L.A. Athletics at Maloney Field on Friday, Feb. 27. (Melissa Minton / Xpress)

The Gators responded in the bottom of the third with two runs of their own off the bats of Matt Vera and Nick Jackson. The following inning, SF State was able to get two more runs from a double off right fielder Bryce Cherry, giving the Gators the 4-3 lead.

After allowing the three runs in the second, Sheridan got into a groove and did not allow another run in his next four innings of pitching.

“After I settled down I made the adjustment with my pitches,” Sheridan said. “I knew if I fixed it mechanically my guys would pick it up behind me, and I was able to dial it in and get it going.”

The Gators got back to work on offense in the bottom of the fifth inning after Vera reached on a fielder’s choice, but on an error from the Golden Eagles second baseman allowed for two runs to score.

SF State led 6-3 after five innings of play. Some last minute insurance in the bottom of the eight inning gave SF State a 9-4 lead ultimately putting the Golden Eagles away for good.

The Gators bounce back offensively after getting swept by Fresno Pacific in previous weekend games. The Gators get a much-needed win in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

“I thought it was pretty good day,” Lindsay said. “We played a lot better than we have in the last 10 games but I thought we played pretty well offensively and defensively. It all came together today.”

SF State continues its four game home stand with the Golden Eagles tomorrow with a double header at The Swamp.