Healing Art Series: Road Trip

Alexandra Lederer, a fine arts graduate student, moves pieces of a Camaro, one of four installations for her thesis gallery show in SF Fine Arts building on Wednesday April 1. (Emma Chiang/ Xpress)

This series of audio slideshows chronicles the work of three fine arts graduate students. These artists discover self-healing as they crochet, sew and sculpt.

Road Trip

Mourning the death of her father, fine arts graduate student Alexandra Lederer dedicated her final thesis gallery, entitled “The one left behind” in honor of his life. Using saws, sanders, stray paint, plywood, screws and nails, her largest piece in the gallery of four installations involves the front half of a old rundown 1997 Camaro that resembles the car her father drove according to Lederer.

“When I am working I do think of my dad a lot,” Lederer said. “This process has been harder than I thought because I have to talk about him so often.”

Lederer’s thesis gallery will be on display in the Fine Arts building from April 25 to May 16. She will graduate this spring with an emphasis in sculpture.