Volleyball puts away visiting Cal State East Bay

[slideshow_deploy id=’67662′]

The SF State women’s volleyball team snapped a two-game losing streak Saturday, when they the defeated Cal State East Bay Pioneers at the Swamp Gymnasium.

The Gators took control early in the game, forcing the Pioneers to called quick timeouts and winning each of the first two sets by eight points.

Although the Gators failed to sweep the Pioneers in the third set, they were able to regroup and sealed the victory on the next.

Head coach Jill Muhe was very proud of her team’s effort.

“I was really happy with a lot of things we saw on the court today,” Muhe said. “I saw a few really strong practices the last three days transfer onto the court.”

Muhe said it was an important win for them, especially since it bolstered their record within the conference.

“The CCAA is an incredibly deep and tough conference, so any victory is critical,” Muhe said. “It’s always critical to defend your home court, that’s what we did today.”

The star of the game was the Gators outside hitter, Jaclyn Clark, who put on a stellar performance. Clark totaled a team high 24 kills with 51 attempts.

Clark gave a lot of the credit to her team for her strong performance.

“My performance came from everything we’ve been doing in practice this week as a team,” Clark said.

Clark was not the only player who put on an impressive performance. The Gators middle blocker, Samantha Krakower, put in a lot of effort and energy, which played a significant role in helping the Gators to a victory.

Krakower had a very efficient night, converting almost half of her attempts. She collected an impressive 12 kills with 28 attempts.

“I think the extra practices we’ve been putting in have really benefited us, and we’re striving to win more,” Krakower said.

According to Muhe, the extra attention that the team paid to improving their passing game this week was key to their victory.

“We pass very well, we put the ball on target so we can run our offense efficiently and it translated into a victory,” Muhe said.

The Gators will look to build on this win as they prepare to take on Cal State San Marcos at home Tuesday, Sept. 19.