A’s offer 50 percent off all food to promote new ticket plan

On Friday, the Oakland Athletics gave all fans in attendance half-off concessions to promote A’s Access, a new ticket plan that replaces the conventional season ticket offers.

All fans during the Aug. 31 game could take advantage of discounts that will be available to all A’s Access members in 2019. Discounts included 50 percent off all concessions, 25 percent off merchandise from team stores and$10 parking.

Nearly 18,000 people filled the seats of the Oakland Alameda Coliseum to witness the A’s defeat the Seattle Mariners 7-5. After giving up an early five run lead, Oakland scored in the fifth and sixth innings with RBIs from Ramon Laureano and Khris Davis. The A’s bullpen continued to dominate by holding the Mariners to only two hits in the final 5.1 innings and All-Star closer Blake Treinen earned his 34th save of the season.

The A’s Access membership was announced one month ago. It is a ticket membership that allows access to general admission seating to all 81 home games during the 2019 season. A’s Access members have the ability to upgrade their seat based on their ticket plan. Plans range from 10-game upgrades to the traditional entire 81 games. At first some fans were confused about the mechanics of A’s Access,but once they realized how it worked, they thought it was a great idea.

“I was going to renew my ticket plan anyway but the new A’s Access is the same thing but with more benefits,” said season ticket holder Norm Hanelt. “My ticket plan right now is only for weekend and holiday games, but next year I might go to some games and sit in the general admission area.”

Those who sign up to become A’s Access members in September can  take advantage of the food and merchandise discounts for the rest of the month. Throughout the Friday game, the A’s were advertising the new ticket plan with booths set up around the Coliseum and advertisements for it were posted on the scoreboard during the entire game.

Fans filled the team store and crowded the concession stands waiting for their $3 hot dogs, $2.50 sodas and $4 beers. Fans appreciated the discounts but not all of them were ready to sign up for A’s Access.

“The discounts are great but I don’t think I’ll end up being an Access member,” said Mari Avilla, a life-long A’s fan. “I honestly can’t afford it right now,” Avilla explained. “I try to come to as many games as possible but committing to all those games is a lot of money.”

Dave Kaval was hired as the president of the A’s in November 2016 and since then he has been vocal about keeping the team in Oakland and trying different ideas to get fans into the ballpark. Some of the improvements include the new Treehouse bar in left field, new scoreboards and the new Championship Plaza, which hosts local food trucks in between the Coliseum and Oracle Arena.

While the game was in progress, Kaval was in Sacramento tweeting about legislature successfully passing a bill to help move forward the construction process of the proposed Howard Terminal site for a new ballpark.

The A’s seem to be heading in the right direction both on the field and in the front office. Currently the A’s hold the AL’s second wild card spot and are second in the AL West. The A’s Access membership has been a hit thus far with fans and can only become more successful as the team continues to create momentum towards building a new ballpark in Oakland.