Softball and track and field athletes named Gators of the Week

A dominant weekend from SF State softball and track and field athlete Maya Cook earn them Gator of the Week honors for the week of April 22 the athletic department announced on Monday.

Junior Michelle Castro and freshman Brylynn Vallejos helped lead Gators softball to their second-ever CCAA postseason appearance, the first since the inaugural conference playoffs in 2007.

Castro slugged four RBI’s and stole two bases, while Vallejos went 8-for-15 on the weekend from the plate. She added another RBI, as well as a double. Vallejos is now the Gators’ single-season record holder for hits in a season, with 90. She also leads the conference in hits and runs, while sitting in third with 39 RBIs on the year. The slugger was named as a finalist for the 2019 Schutt Sports/NFCA Division II National Player and Pitcher of the Year, joining West Florida’s Teala Howard as the only freshman finalists.

Castro also notched six hits on the weeks, totaling to the 62 hits on the season, good for second-best in CCAA. Both Castro and Vallejos have hit 16 doubles for the Gators this season, which is one off Castro’s program record of 17 set last year.

Their efforts guided the Gators, who finish the regular season third place in CCAA, to a pristine 6-0 record on the week and their eight-straight victory.

For the Gator’s women’s track and field team, sophomore Maya Cook helped set the second-fastest 4X100m women’s relay time in the nation.

Along with teammates Alexis Henry, Kennedy Hardemion and Jazmine Smith; Maya Cook set not just the third best 4X100 women’s relay time in Gator history, but also the season’s second-fastest time in the nation. Cook helped the Gators to a strong outing at the Brutus Hamilton Track Meet in Berkeley, Calif. this past weekend.

It was a record-setting and tying weekend for the Gators athletes who represented the university with some notable performances.