Editor’s note on last week’s ethnic studies issue

As a publication, we want to sincerely apologize to the Africana Studies department, Black Student Union, Arab and Muslim Ethnicities Diaspora department, and any other groups who were affected by the lack of representation in our Oct. 8, 50th Anniversary of Ethnic Studies Commemoration Week issue. We wanted to celebrate the diversity on our campus with this issue and sought out subjects for the cover from the college of ethinic studies, but there were significant gaps in our coverage. We deeply regret this, especially given the Black Student Union’s important role in founding the ethnic studies programs at SF State. We are making changes in our newsroom policies to improve the way we represent the diverse campus community that we serve. We seek your participation in a town hall meeting where members of the College of Ethnic Studies can share their concerns with Xpress surrounding this issue and future reporting. In the meantime, we invite you to send a letter to the editor in response to this or any other issues of concern to be published in upcoming issues. If you want to submit a letter, have suggestions for coverage or are interested in participating in a future town hall meeting, please email the editor-in-chief, Carly Wipf at [email protected]