Masvidal no match for Diaz in upcoming welterweight match

Global superstar and boxing cash cow Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will move up two weight divisions on Nov. 2, to challenge Light Heavyweight Champion Sergey Kovalev in Vegas. That same day at Madison Square Garden, Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz will headline UFC 244 for bragging rights to gain possession of an opportunity to the welterweight belt. 

Alvarez will defeat Kovalev by unanimous decision to become the fourth boxer of Mexican descent to win championships in four weight divisions. Alvarez will dominate Kovalev with body shots and keep distance with the jab. Kovalev was already stopped twice in his career and he has not been the same since his 2017 loss to Andre Ward. 

The two fighters to defeat Kovalev in Ward and Eleider Alvarez, carry similar characteristics and fighting styles as Alvarez.  His superior head movement, straight from the Floyd Mayweather playbook, showed in a win against Daniel Jacobs, a top three middleweight. 

There is a height and reach advantage in favor of Alvarez, along with a larger amount of fights under his belt, having fought 17 more fights than Kovalev.

Besides a title being on the line, Alvarez also needs this victory in order to gain leverage in choosing his next opponent. Alvarez disagreed with his promotional company, Golden Boy Promotions, on the choice of opponents when he wins, he will be champion in two weight divisions with a higher number of available opponents. 

Meanwhile at the Garden, Nate Diaz’s relentless ground game and superior chin to absorb contact will be too much for Masvidal, leading to a knockout or submission victory for Diaz. 

He recently came back from a three-year hiatus and won a hard fought decision in August over a former lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis. 

Masvidal is known for his cardio and striking, something Diaz worked on consistently in training camp by sparring with professional boxers to perfect his striking and stance.

Both Masvidal and Diaz claimed the “gangster” title in the UFC, representing themselves as fighters who simply don’t care. Masvidal is known for throwing a three-punch combination on Leon Edwards while conducting an interview with ESPN. Diaz started with the edge in mind-games when he reminded Masvidal that he might be a gangster, but not a “West Coast gangster.”

Alvarez and Diaz will have their hands raised at the end of the day, with their two careers going in separate directions. Alvarez will try to solidify himself in the Hall of Fame conversation while Diaz will try and obtain a trilogy fight with McGregor or a chance at a title against lightweight king Khabib Nurmagomedov.