Celebrating Bay Area Excellence: SFSU 2023 Alumni Hall of Fame Inductees

The 2023 SFSU Alumni Hall of Fame inductees are honored and step into the limelight during their induction ceremony
Stuart Locklear
(Left to right) Ben Fong-Torres (Ceremony MC), Vincent Matthews, Gwynned Rose Vitello, Lynn Mahoney, Boots Riley, Pramukti Sujaudaja at the 2023 Alumni Hall of Fame at the Ritz Carlton on Nov. 3, 2023. (Courtesy of SFSU – Photos by Stuart Locklear)

SFSU has acknowledged the prominent achievements of past alumni who have contributed to outstanding accomplishments in the Bay Area.

Each of the inductees was honored on Friday, Nov. 3, at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco with a dinner that included their friends, family and respected members of the university cohort.

The inductees have made an impact within SFSU and the Bay Area that has lasting impressions on the community and the educational institution.

“The Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is one of my favorite nights of the year!” said, SFSU President, Lynn Mahoney.

Mahoney works closely with the University Advancement team that plans and manages the event every year.

Every fall, President Mahoney and the University Advancement team kick off the inductee selection process.

“We look for individuals that scale beyond just being successful. We look for diversity and the impact they have made to the Bay Area,” Mahoney said.

In parallel, the University Advancement team conducts weekly meetings and identifies key milestones to ensure their team meets vital action items. Their team relies on project planning that includes sponsorships, volunteers, host site logistics, the reception/dinner program and marketing.

“Celebrating the honorees’ achievements and ensuring our guests have a positive experience while staying within our budget dictates all decisions,” said, Associate Vice President of Alumni Relations & University Engagement, Nicole Marie Lange.

The University Advancement team always looks for new ways to make the event as meaningful and memorable as possible for guests and honorees.

“We hope that the event continues to grow and continues to be an annual highlight for the University,” said Lange.

The list of alumni that were inducted into this year’s Hall of Fame includes highly esteemed professionals in finance, film, education and publishing sectors.

Hall of Fame Inductees:

Pramukti Sujaudaja
Bachelor of Science, ’85

Pramukti Surjaudaja has over 30 years of experience in the finance industry. Per OCBC Group, Surjaudaja has held key stake-holding roles within the company that includes President Director and Board President Commissioner. Surjaudaja now lives with his family in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Vincent Matthews
B.A., ’86; M.A., ’90; Ed.D., ’10

Vincent Matthews has been an educator for more than 30 years. Matthews was a superintendent for the San Francisco Unified School District for 5 years. Matthews is now an assistant professor in the Equity, Leadership and Instruction Technologies program at SFSU.

Boots Riley
Cinema, History

Boots Riley is a civil rights activist, musician and filmmaker. Riley was a writer and director, known for Sorry to Bother You (2018), The Losers (2010) and I’m a Virgo (2023). Riley has woven his commitment to social justice, what he learned for SFSU and his passion for the arts to create a great career.

Gwynned Rose Vitello
B.A., ’74

Gwynned Rose Vitello is the president at High Speed Productions, a leader in arts and culture publishing that includes the popular skateboarding magazine, Thrasher. Vitello has worked in civil service for San Francisco under former San Francisco Mayor, George Moscone and the late California Senator, Dianne Feinstein.

“I was lucky to have worked in two careers that allowed me to work with fascinating people while helping them access their needs, and sometimes, dreams,” said Vitello.

Vitello worked at City Hall, in the Mayor’s Office, where she interacted with San Francisco citizens. Vitello realized the importance of a functioning government and non-profit agencies. Today, Vitello makes it a priority to work with citizen groups.

Vitello helped establish various magazines, she was able to offer a venue for burgeoning athletes and artists, as well as contribute to independent journalism.

About the acknowledgment, Vittelo said she is particularly touched by the honor. “I have so much pride in graduating from SF State,” she said.

Vittelo is the first in her family to have attended college and sometimes she struggled with imposter’s syndrome but now feels proud. “I felt a personal accomplishment in excelling in my studies. I felt proud to have graduated from a school with such a history of inclusion and social consciousness,” Vittelo said.