SF State alumnus dies in roadside car accident

Garret Davis
Garret Davis poses for his police mug shot. Courtesy of the Honolulu Police Department.

Garret Davis, beloved father, devoted police officer and SF State alum, died tragically Jan. 21 when his patrol car was rear-ended and burst into flames, according to the Honolulu Police Department. He had stopped his car on Interstate Hawaiian I to help a couple in a stalled vehicle. He was 28 years old.

The 41-year-old driver of the truck was arrested for negligent homicide upon his release from the hospital, according to Honolulu Police Chief Louis M. Kealoha.

Davis was an entry-level officer. He joined the Honolulu Police Department July 1, 2008. His commanding officer, Maj. Moana Heu, described Davis as someone dedicated fully to his occupation.

“He did more than just come to work and do his job; he did his best at whatever task was given to him,” Heu said. “I count him among my finest officers.”

According to his older sister, Amanda Stevens, Davis always wanted to be a police officer.

“He had always wanted to be a police officer. It was always something he had on his short list of possibilities in life,” Stevens said. “He wanted to do something where he could help people every day and he didn’t want to be stuck behind a desk. It was his personality to be out doing things.”

Davis was often described as outgoing, friendly and charismatic. He was a unique character, according to Stevens.

“My brother was always quite the ham and very energetic and full of life. He was always helping out people and constantly caring,” Stevens said. “My brother was loyal, loving, funny, sentimental and one of my best friends.”

The last time Stevens spoke with her brother was the week prior to his death. In that conversation they discussed reunion plans for May so that the family would be together. His parting words were habitual, but now bring pain to Stevens.