Crime Blotter: Three Thefts

Three grand thefts occurred on campus over the course of three days, totaling in just over $4,000 worth of losses, according to the University Police Department. No arrests have been made.

Grand theft is defined as any theft of property valued at over $950. Thefts where the loss is valued below $950 are considered petty theft. 

The first theft occurred at approximately 4:30 p.m. Tuesday Oct. 22, at the Mashouf Wellness Center. A backpack containing an iPhone 8, among other personal belongings, was stolen, resulting in loss totaling $1438 according to Lieutenant Dave Rodriguez of UPD. Lt. Rodriguez did not respond to follow up questions on the incident. Mashouf staff did not respond to a request for comment. 

The second theft occurred later that night when a victim left their iPhone XR unattended at approximately 10:30 p.m. in the humanities building and was never seen again. 

The third, however, was the costliest, with an estimated loss of $1799. Thursday, Oct. 24, just before 2 p.m., a suspect described as a white male adult wearing a white dust mask fled with a MacBook Pro on display at the university bookstore, according to Lt. Rodriguez. 

The bookstore did not respond to or outright refused multiple requests for comment.

There have been seven reported grand thefts and 21 petty thefts since the beginning of the semester, according to the UPD crime log.