Forkin' Frisco: Enjoying variety in Hayes Valley

Forkin’ Hayes

Hayes Valley has become a destination neighborhood in the last few years for those with some cash to burn. The streets are lined with upscale boutiques and manicured Victorian apartments. Still, its proximity to the bustling Civic Center neighborhood and Market Street mean that people from all walks of life pass through the area on a daily basis, and they all need to eat.

SWEET TOOTH

Chantal Guillon Macarons
437 Hayes St.

In the tradition of doing one thing and doing it well, Chantal Guillon serves up the best macarons in Hayes Valley. In addition to traditional flavors like pistachio and vanilla there are also more innovative flavors for the adventurous eater like rose and jasmine green tea.

CHEAP EATS

Mercury Cafe
201 Octavia St.

This little cafe serves up super satisfying fare in an ultra casual setting. The food is light, consisting mostly of sandwiches and salads that change with the seasons. A great place to sit, snack, and study.

ROMANTIC

Absinthe
398 Hayes St.

Not only is Absinthe the most romantic restaurants in the neighborhood, its stellar food and service makes it the place to go when you want to celebrate any special occasion. Classic dishes like steak tartare and french onion soup are given the full gourmet treatment.

WILDCARD

Suppenkuche
525 Laguna St.

Germany isn’t exactly known for its rich culinary tradition, but it’s hard to find anyone who understands the magical pairing of beer and sausage better. Suppenkuche delivers an astonishing selection of beer and delicious German fare like potato pancakes. And of course, lots of sausage.