Forkin' Frisco: Looking up the outskirts of Nob Hill

Forkin’ Nob Hill

At its core, Nob Hill is one of the swankiest neighborhoods in the city. It’s home to luxury hotels, high-rises and, of course, upscale restaurants. Though Nob Hill is ritzy in the middle, its edges pack in some urban personality, with convenience stores and dive bars occupying the Tendernob and supermarkets bordering Chinatown.

Sweet Tooth

Lotta’s Bakery
1720 Polk St.

With an irresistable key lime pie that may rival your grandma’s, Lotta’s Bakery is one of the must-visit bakeries in the neighborhood. Between moist cakes, flaky pies and freshly-baked artisan breads, the standout is probably the Original Blum’s Coffee Crunch cake, with crunchy coffee candy sprinkled throughout luscious layers of chocolate cake.

CHEAP EATS

U-Lee Restaurant
1468 Hyde St.

For only $6, you get six fist-sized, meaty potstickers that would satisfy even the most formidable appetite. Despite its corner-store exterior, this veritable gem offers massive portions of authentic Chinese cuisine that stretch the value of your dollar.

ROMANTIC

Ristorante Milano
1448 Pacific Ave.

This is Northern Italian food at its best. From a broad range of tasty antipasti, fish and meat dishes on the menu, to the homey and simple decor of the restaurant, Ristorante Milano will create a pleasant experience for diners looking for an affordable dish. Their signature beef carpaccio explodes with flavor from the fresh capers and smooth grana cheese.

WILDCARD

Cordon Bleu Vietnamese Restaurant
1574 California St.

This isn’t you regular pho and sandwich restaurant. Walking in Cordon Bleu Vietnamese Restaurant is like walking right into someone’s home, with their mother slaving away in the kitchen. The delectable imperial rolls, stuffed with shredded pork, vermicelli, carrots and wood-ear fungus, have a simple, rustic touch to them.