Forkin' Frisco: Discovering a quaint mix of restaurants in Pacific Heights

This quiet residential neighborhood packs in a lot more personality than what is expected from an upper class neighborhood. From the colorful shops and boutiques that inhabit Fillmore Street to the relaxed earthiness of Bush Street, this idyllic area provides various food options from small local cafes to upscale, high-end restaurants for tourists and locals alike.

Sweet Tooth

Baker & Banker

1701 Octavia St.

Owned by a husband-and-wife team, this upscale restaurant offers a fine-dining experience without the uptight atmosphere. The globally influenced menu becomes more diverse as the day goes on as it changes from brunch to dinner. Be sure to catch the brunch offerings, which include the sumptuous Bananas Foster french toast bread pudding topped with toasted pecans.

Cheap Eats

The Grove Fillmore

2016 Fillmore St.

This comfy little deli and cafe amps up the ho-hum selection of sandwiches, soups and salads found at other cafes. The french onion soup, which is baked with a generous layer of gruyere cheese and topped with freshly chopped parsley, pairs perfectly with the gourmet sandwiches, particularly the savory Brazilian tri-tip sandwich.

Romantic

Fresca

2114 Fillmore St.

Situated in the quaint northern end of Fillmore Street, this tapas restaurant serves up a bevy of authentic Peruvian dishes ranging from a plethora of ceviche to rice dishes. Try out their zesty ceviche de coco, which consists of ahi tuna, red jalapenos and honey cashews thoroughly soaked in a creamy coconut leche.

Wildcard

Red Door Cafe

1608 Bush St.

Don’t be confused when you’re handed a baby doll while you wait to be seated. From the kitschy knickknacks to the vintage portraits that adorn the pastel-colored walls, this humble restaurant provides an odd atmosphere that, interestingly enough, accentuates the food. Just ask for the “Park your wife and taste my salmon” dish, which would start anyone’s day on the right foot.