The Depot at SF State introduces new bands into lineup with first show of semester

The Depot SF State
Peter Danzig fronts the band Down and Outlaws at a performance at The Depot in the Cesar Chavez Student Center at SF State Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012. Photo by Adrian Rodriguez.

The suspense heightened as the lights dimmed slowly. The sea of silhouetted faces waited anxiously while the room fell silent.

The Serfs teased the audience with their guitars in hand. The percussionist, seated with his drumsticks, readied the count off: 1, 2, 3, 4 — and with a crash, a harmonious chord struck, reverberating throughout the Cesar Chavez Student Center, coloring what once was dead air.

Last night, The Depot kicked off a semester’s worth of free music at the student center with a special show with Talk Of Shamans, Air Surgeon, Down and Outlaws and The Serfs. The carefully selected lineup included band members who got their first break on its tiny stage, according to 25-year-old Gio Acosta, The Depot manager. Over the years, The Depot’s management has given bands a venue to be heard while helping them create a fan base.

“I was absolutely blown away at how many people were here,” Kyle Luck, guitarist for Down and Outlaws said. “This was a great show. We got a lot of exposure tonight from The Depot.”

With their Depot-based following, the bands allowed the show to reach Acosta’s estimated attendance of about 80.

“They’re getting a lot better bands and the bands that I’ve been following have progressed here as well,” said SF State senior Sarah Rivera who has been going to shows at the Depot for three years now.

If The Depot continues on this track, the management team is sure to gain even more of a following.

“I love The Depot,” said SF State senior Shannon Bodrigi. “The people who run it are really awesome and cool bands play.”

Be sure to check The Depot’s Facebook page for upcoming events.