The Fashion Blueprint: The time is now to rock a watch

The ticking of a second hand through a chronograph face is a reflection of the modern man.

As collectible works of art, watches with 24-hour and date subdials pair well with business and dressy looks, while leather strapped watches can be worn with casual wear according to Kim La, Nordstrom watch sales representative.

“Watches come in different materials and certain colors for men and women,” La said.

She explained that most high-quality watch bands are made of genuine leather or silicon whereas watch bracelets come in stainless steel or resin. Many come with watch cases made of stainless steel or alloy.

See — women aren’t the only ones swimming with variety in the accessories department.

As a personal adornment that’s much appreciated, a watch is a striking feature that could bring stars to a woman’s eye — gliding her hands down your arms to the wrist. It’s a chick magnet.

“A strong statement piece like the watch is all a person needs really,” La said. “It can be a bit pricey but customers still fork out money regardless.”

Alright guys, time to hit the ATM and use some of that financial aid.

According to Swiss Watch Industry, exports on watches were in total nearly 19.3 billion francs — $20.6 billion — in 2011 and Swiss Watch manufacturers exceeded their previous annual result by 19.2 percent. Steel watches accounted for more than one in two timepieces exported, increasing the steel watch volume by 15.4 million units in 2011.

Men, it’s time to step up your game and get in on the watch hysteria.

Any look that you can throw on, from a white crewneck T-shirt to a herringbone suit, will benefit from a simple accessory. Watches are in tune with fashion.

“I’m not that fashionable, but I definitely keep a watch on to have some class,” said Josh Nuqui, a physiology major. “I admire guys who can rock watches that are blingin’ because that’s too much for me.”

Just like a rhythm that needs a melody, a clean dress shirt needs the complement of a watch that’s powered by springs.

“If I could, I would wear accessories more because apparently the girls seem to like it,” Nuqui said. “There are so many to choose from, but I usually wear rubber digital watches.”

Take my advice: the timepiece is timeless.