Biology major Anna Nguyen named SF State's Voice

Anna Nguyen
SF State student Anna Nguyen, right, was named the winner of the first SF State's Voice competition on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012. Photo by Sam Battles / Xpress.

The office of Student Life has finally found SF State’s Voice with the conclusion of the month-long singing competition Thursday night.

Anna Nguyen was dubbed the winner of SF State’s first singing competition.

After the final competition round Monday night, SF State students voted online for their top three singers out of the remaining 16 contestants. After more than 1,000 votes were cast in the remaining days, Nguyen came out on top, followed by biochemistry major Christa Laosantos in second place. Philosophy major Asha Hirsi took third place, and music major Gabi Cavassa took fourth.

As the winner, Nguyen was awarded a trophy and a feature in her own music video produced by Student Life, along with a marketing campaign and other opportunities to perform at other campus events.

“I was not expecting to win,” the 20 year-old biology major said. “All the other singers were so good.”

Although singing for most of her life, this was the first singing competition Nguyen has participated in.

“It just sounded really exciting,” Nguyen  said. “I love performing in front of people and I’ll take any opportunity to sing. It’s one of my passions.”

Nguyen and three other contestants were on Team Kris, headed by judge Kris Domingo, who was beaming with pride after the finale and announcement of Nguyen’s success.

“I can’t take credit for her voice,” Domingo said. “She’s always been herself. She’s worked so hard, and working with her has been amazing.”

Dean of Students Joseph Greenwell, master of ceremonies for the night, oversaw the organization of the competition and was pleased with the way the event panned out.

“It went great,” Greenwell said. “The best thing about it was that it was all students — the singers were students, the judges were students, the crew were students, the audience were students. I’ve been so impressed with everybody.”

Although the competition is over, Nguyen, along with the other three contestants who placed, are just stepping into their roles as vocal representatives of the talent at SF State. Nguyen, Laosantos, Hirsi and Cavassa will go on a tour of sorts, where their talents will be showcased at various campus events for the rest of the school year.

“The audience has heard their voices,” Greenwell said. “Now it’s time to reach everyone with their voices.”