City College’s fight for accreditation continues

City College of San Francisco will have a chance to respond to, and potentially reverse, the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges’ decision to yank the college’s accreditation following a Feb. 17 court ruling against the commission.

San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera filed suit against the commission in 2013 for unfair business practices after it attempted to strip City College’s accreditation. The ruling by Judge Curtis Karnow ensured the College will be immune from ACCJC retaliation while pursuing reconsideration of its accreditation.

The college will have 15 days to present a proposal to the commission if the administration decides to pursue the reconsideration. The proposal could reverse the college’s restoration status, which the ACCJC announced in January. City College will retain full accreditation while it revises administrative policy over the next two years.

“I’m very pleased with the final injunction, and optimistic that these court-ordered protections will enable City College to secure its accreditation and finally put threats of closure to rest,” Herrera said in an official statement.

Tim Killikelly, City College Faculty Union president, said that the college community is looking for “a return to normalcy” following the uncertainty caused by the accrediting commission’s decisions — especially in regards to the college’s drop in enrollment.

He said that there is no evidence the students who left City College attended any other college in the Bay Area.

“They’re (ACCJC) out of control; they’ve lost touch with what they’re supposed to be doing,” Killikelly said. “By acting how they’ve acted, they scared away students. They have denied educational opportunities for thousands of San Franciscans.”