UPDATED: CSU Board of Trustees approves nine percent tuition increase

This story has been updated to reflect University president Robert A. Corrigan’s response to the fee increase. The story was originally published Nov. 16.

The California State University Board of Trustees voted today to approve an additional 9 percent tuition increase for all CSU campuses for the upcoming academic year.

Tuition will be increased by $498, raising the cost for full-time undergraduate students from $5,472 to $5,970 a year beginning in fall 2012.

“In keeping with CSU policy, one-third of the fee increase will be set aside for financial aid, and students who receive State University Grants will receive an increase in those awards,” said SF State President Robert A. Corrigan.

These newest hikes are preceded by a 12 percent increase that was implemented for the current semester after the CSU budget was cut by $650 million. Another $100 million of funding could still be slashed.

“The additional revenue requested in this budget is critical to addressing the deep and painful cuts the CSU has had to absorb, and to ensure that students have access to needed courses and support services,” said CSU Chancellor Charles B. Reed in a statement released earlier today.

Nine of the 15 board members voted in favor of the the tuition increase, which is expected to restore $138 million to the budget, according to the CSU website.

“The Board struggled with this painful decision but the state’s disheartening neglect of its institutions of public higher education left them few options. Here at San Francisco State we have managed budget cuts by reducing our administrative infrastructure, not filling vacated positions, limiting enrollment, and tapping our dwindling reserves,” Corrigan said.

The board of trustees also unanimously approved its 2012-13 budget, in which the CSU petitioned the governor and legislature to restore another $333 million in state funding.