VIDEO, PHOTOS: Occupy SFSU begins encampment

Occupy SFSU
SF State president Robert A. Corrigan addresses students outside the Administration building Dec. 1, 2011. Students organized to demand a reverse of the nine percent tuition increase for 2012. Photo by Gregory Moreno.

At about 3 p.m. today students filled Malcolm X Plaza for a rally against the nine percent tuition hike that was recently passed.

Speakers addressed the crowd of about 150 students present when the march began to go through Cesar Chavez Student Center about 20 minutes later. The students who are part of the Occupy SFSU movement then marched into the student center and placed cling wrap around the ATMs inside and attached to the student center.

They then proceeded to march to the Administration Building and stood outside using the people’s mic to read a letter the group had written to President Robert A. Corrigan. He listened to student demands and then addressed questions from the crowd. After he denied several requests to sign letters to legislators and the CSU chancellor calling for the repeal of the nine percent tuition hike, students then marched back down to Malcolm X Plaza and have begun to set up a camp with seven tents so far.

Occupy SFSU
A woman holds a sign in support of the occupy movement during a demonstration at SF State Dec. 1. Students organized to demand a reverse of the nine percent tuition increase for 2012. Photo by Gregory Moreno.
Occupy SFSU
Rachel Aue withdraws money from a Bank of American ATM adorned with images of two regents affiliated with the banking industry in front of the bookstore Dec. 1, 2011. SF State students organized to demand a reverse of the nine percent tuition increase for 2012. Photo by Gregory Moreno.
Occupy SFSU
SF State president Robert A. Corrigan listens to a student speak outside the Administration building Dec. 1, 2011. Students organized to demand a reverse of the nine percent tuition increase for 2012. Photo by Gregory Moreno.
A student proposes an agreement between Robert A. Corrigan (right) and students outside the Administration building Dec. 1. Students organized to demand a reverse of the nine percent tuition increase for 2012. Photo by Gregory Moreno.

Occupy SFSU
SF State Theater major student, Kaitlyn Cornell, writes the phone number of National Lawyers Guild onto a protesters hand during the general assembly in front of the Ethnic Study building Dec. 1, 2011. Photo by Hang Cheng.
Occupy SFSU
SF State student Lalo Gonzalez, speaks to the occupiers inside of the Cesar Chavez student center, Dec. 1, 2011. Photo by Hang Cheng.
Occupy SFSU
Occupy SFSU protester walks toward the Administration building to deliver their message to president Robert A. Corrigan, Dec. 1, 2011. Photo by Hang Cheng.
Occupy SFSU
SF State University President, Robert A. Corrigan, speaks to the Occupy protesters that gathered in front of the Administration building Dec. 1, 2011. Photo by Hang Cheng.
Occupy SFSU
Occupy SFSU
Occupy SFSU
SF State Art History major student, Federico Villalobos, helping other Occupy SFSU protestor patching a tent at the Malcom X Plaza Dec. 1, 2011. Photo by Hang Cheng.
Occupy SFSU
Students begin the encampment of the Malcolm X Plaza for the Occupy SFSU protests Dec. 1, 2011. Photo by Hang Cheng.
Occupy SFSU
Occupy SFSU
SF State Accounting major student, Sean Semans, silently applauds during the Occupy SFSU rally at Malcom X Plaza, Dec 1. 2011. Photo by Hang Cheng.