Remodeled Student Information Center launches soft opening at SF State's Cesar Chavez Center

Cesar Chavez Student Center
Junior Miguel Guerrero (right), the program services office administrator, helps two technical services staff members take surveys on the iPads to find out what people want to see on the television screens behind the desk Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012. Photo by Heather Ito / Xpress

The newly remodeled Student Information Center was unveiled for a soft opening Wednesday afternoon in the Cesar Chavez Student Center.

The former information desk has been transformed into a one-stop center for all student inquiry. The center features a new, sleeker design including television screens with Muni schedules and other transportation options, such as schedules for BART and upcoming performances at The Depot.

“We want to make it more of a multi-purpose information center where students can see campus events and Muni schedules all in one place,” said John Doctor, associate director of facilities and maintenance.

“This being just a soft open, we want to work out the kinks,” said Aimée Zenzele Barnes, assistant director for program services. “We want to make sure the technology side is working.”

The Information Center is currently taking student surveys for feedback on what additional features they should offer.

Students who walked by likened the information center to the Apple Store, with iPads at different stations where employees can give students more personal help, instead of just being restricted behind the desk.

“I was so used to seeing the tents up that it looked so futuristic,” said freshman Arlene Flores. “It looks like a place that will likely help us get to places not just on campus.”

The official grand opening is scheduled for Oct. 12.